Sunday 10 March 2024

playing with pink & teal

Another house top variation quilt is underway chez Linda's. 



'Dancing Squares' is a new favourite because it too has evolved from the need of using up those scraps. This time around, I went through my scrap baskets (yet again) but changed up the mood of the quilt. Super happy with the combo of teal & pink in these log cabin-style blocks, adding that splash of merlot makes me smile.

I'm drawn to florals, so I needed to pair them up with a few ginghams/spots/dots/solids/even a little animal print to add contrast. With these bold colours & prints dancing around my centre teal squares, each block felt like a mini quilt to me, where the colours of each round flow into the next.

Not following a written pattern is always a fun challenge ... I could see as I progressed, that this one would be another quirky jigsaw puzzle to put together! I decided on lots of pink & off -white for the irregular coping strips - creating little paths between the house blocks, and (wink wink) to fill in the gaps to help get things up to size. Finished size approx. 60" x 54".

Here's my 'modern' take on traditional ...



















Now I am working on a third "house top" quilt because, you know, two aren’t enough!
Have you tried making a Gee's Bend-style quilt?

Linda

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen a bit of the Gee Bends style of quilting over the years but it really isn't my thing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love it!! the colors all look so great together!!!

Bird lover said...

I’d love your dancing squares, so much color and movement. Yup, going to give it a try, thanks for posting this.

Catherine H.

Bird lover said...

I love your Dancing Squares, so much color and movement, happy squares. going to give it a try. thanks!

Janie said...

Super 'house top variation' #2 finish! The colors are beautiful Linda, thanks for sharing. And yes, you are on a roll, keep them coming!

Linda said...

Great combinations of fabrics and colours. Love it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have the best scraps! I love this mixture of teals and pinks, plus the plaids and florals. That floral you used in a block, plus for one of the borders is fabulous! This is a lovely project, Linda!

Quilting Babcia said...

Between the house top blocks and your palette of beautiful fabrics this is going to be a winner!

Linda said...

Another pretty quilt. Love the colours and fabrics you have chosen.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love this one Linda!

Karen S said...

I really like the way you are using your scraps in this one. I used to get frustrated when I didn't have enough to finish a round with a log cabin. Now I realise it doesn't matter and makes it far more interesting.