Friday 26 July 2024

time to enjoy the flowers

I haven’t gone through my scraps in forever, so a week or so ago I started with sorting out the scrap basket that sits under my sewing table. I was quite determined and only made three piles - keep, chuck, or pass onto my friend Glenys.
While sifting & sorting was a pleasant trip down memory lane, I did have ulterior motive for this sudden burst of tidying ... I was really pulling out all my leftover floral strips ... ones I couldn't part with ... and I ended up keeping a good mix from the last couple of years.

This week, those strips kept tempting me! So instead of sewing the July blocks for my 'positivities' BOM, I got very sidetracked. Again!

I'm making a 'Checkered Garden' quilt #2, a free pattern from Ashley @filminthefridge. It's well written, fun & easy to follow. My first go with this pattern was made with all AMH fabrics (see back here for more details), and while I love it, I was keen to try out quite a different palette.






Using my focus fabric as a guide (a dark & moody AMH teal/green with a small floral print on it, perfect for bringing in some contrast), I started to select fabric strips in light - medium values in a variety of old & newer loved strips, loving the soft pastels - all from my newly-organised, colour-coded basket. 

Every block/garden cluster requires 5 fabrics. So, I decided that each block has a near-solid along with a print that complements for some harmony, a pale print/low volume to give some breathing space amongst my florals, and then whatever else I felt could work in nicely! It is scrappy ... but with purpose & intent.






It'll be made all from scraps - colourful & a little whimsical - and that's what I love about it!
Time to enjoy all the flowers as I sew.
Linda


6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty blocks! I have a new scrap book with ideas and so many to get busy on

Janie said...

Beautiful start and Checkered Garden is a fun pattern with lots of possibilities.

Mystic Quilter said...

I think it's good to get sidetracked now and again! You have another beautiful rendition of Checkered Garden here, and I love your colour mix.

Karen S said...

A lovely distraction.
You must have a gorgeous collection of scraps.

Marie said...

LUUUUV!

MissPat said...

You keep leading me down rabbit holes. I have lots of floral scraps that would work well with this design, but I just don't need to start another project. Maybe just one block to see how it looks. Yours is charming.
Pat