Monday 16 July 2018

a values quilt

My oh my, I've been missing sewing lately. We've got into a nice routine now with the three little ones, and it's great to be involved & helping. And, I have done a little sewing since we upped our childcare days, like stitching bindings down, but it's not quite the same.
So I've decided I really need to make time to sew on my 'free' days, just slip away to my sewing room for a few hours to work play with something. anything.


This quilt is a great way to use up leftovers, scraps, etc from previous projects. It's totally inspired from a quilt in this book by WiseCraftQuilts. Another 'values' quilt has been on my 'quilts to make' list for quite a long time now, one where the HST's have more of a rhythmic layout rather than being randomly scattered, (see here for my previous efforts). I'm not wanting to go too large, hm-m-m- unless I get really carried away of course!



Lots of 4 1/2" squares and lots of HSTs in an assortment of light, medium and dark prints to create contrast. The darks and lights together will create a sharp “high contrast” however, with the mediums mixed in too, I'm hoping they will give my design a softer feel, easing that jump in contrast. I'm aiming for an overall gently muted look to this quilt, #lowvolumelove.


As I was making up the first block, I worked out a rough colour scheme to make things a bit easier - a peach, mint, pink and grey combo. This is how I tend to start a lot of things, a lot of the time (and I'm sure many others do too), with no real plan, just pop stuff up on the design wall that might work together, narrow things down a little, and from then on it's fingers crossed!


oops, I can see one little block in the wrong place, can you too?
. . . better fix that up before I start sewing them all together.
Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here at quiltingismorefunthanhousework

Have a good week, Linda

18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we all need our sewing time even if it is just a little while

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like something fun to play with! Even if you only make a block once in awhile, they will eventually add up.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Oh I like the look of this one. I can’t wait to see more. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

Very pretty blocks. Lovely colour choices, especially like the mint fabrics. Glad you're trying to find time for sewing.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh very nice indeed Linda, a true scrappy quilt with lots of different fabrics.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks Linda. I’m rethinking priorities now ... and if I can just get mr D. to do the groceries, the vacuuming, the washing ... then I can sew :) Seriously though, it is great being closely involved with our grandchildren. They will all grow up way too quickly.

dutchcomfort said...

This is going to be another beautiful quilt, love those values and your colour scheme. Making time for sewing is lifesaving ;-)

Ann said...

What fun to work on. Soft and snuggly before it’s ever sewn. Enjoy the grandchildren, too.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

These blocks are the perfect project to do when sewing time is precious. I love the fabrics. Even though I love making quilts, spending time with the grandchildren takes precedent. Enjoy!

Robin said...

I really like this low volume quilt. It feels so restful and calming. I don't think I have enough different neutrals to do something like this so I'll just have to admire your efforts.

Julie said...

I'm sure one incorrect block is allowed - I remember Wisecrafts saying she had one in her quilt. Glad the childcare working out, but yes, it's very important to take time out for yourself.

audrey said...

I haven't made one of these types of quilts in eons! Your colors/fabrics are lovely!

Kate said...

What a pretty quilt that's going to be, all from left overs too. Happy stitching.

Janie said...

Another beautiful quilt in the making!
Your last one was lovely, the pattern from Maureen Cracknell's Utility Quilts book.
I'm helping with my little grandson and it's such a pleasure.
Grand kids and quilting, the best!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hmm, I really like the value changes and simplicity of the design. This will be stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

A very Happy Scrappy project!

Kaja said...

I'm glad you have found a rhythm with your grandchildren, but also that you are finding a way to keep sewing. This is going to be another beautiful quilt.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I love your style. How do I sign up to follow your blog? Thanks, elanagoldberg5@gmail.com
thatfabricfeeling.com