Friday 22 April 2016

getting distracted

I've been getting a bit distracted again this week, in the nicest possible way with grandchildren J
 - oh, and with just a bit of improv piecing too.  


'The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters' has been on my bookshelf for a while. I've leafed through it, but have not seriously read it. It's written in quite a different way, but what really caught my eye was the additional quilters' versions of the main 'scores' - the possibilities are endless. {see here for more details about this book}




So, on a whim, I decided to cut up my little selection of Carolyn Friedlander 10" squares, including the Carkai, Doe, and Architextures ranges. I'm planning at this stage to use only the fabrics from the pack - a little challenge for me in it's self! The idea - very briefly - is to make up fabric pieces that later can be cut up into shapes. I began tentatively with an orange & grey combo,..




... and then I forgot all about the book, forgot all about the 'score', and instead got quickly into a rhythm of making up a few more sections, adding in a few more colours! I started out using the ruler & rotary cutter, but slowly left them behind! And so far, the blocks are all different sizes, but I'm keeping the assorted greys & blacks for my inbetween strips most times.







It's still all very much at the 'let's see where this goes' stage
... but it's simple sewing, perfect for when time is restricted, and lots of fun!

"Strings"  improv 
Linking up with the latest Ad Hoc Improv Quilter linkup after the weekend


* EDIT: my daughter turned up today with her latest wrap, 
Oscha 50/50 linen cotton Raja Brighid
perfect colours to go with this improv playful piece J
- love the tiger face!





1 comment:

Mystic Quilter said...

This is going to be interesting! Many of the bloggers I follow have this book and I have seen wonderful quilts in blog posts. I'll be watching your progress!!!