Wednesday 14 November 2018

blogiversary @ kokaquilts

This month is the six-year blogiversary of kokaquilts, gosh I can hardly believe it! I don't usually write about my blogiversary because I don't usually remember it, but, well 6 years and 556 posts later, it's a fair bit of time spent blogging, yes?

There are names I recognise of people who’ve been visiting and commenting on my posts for years, and I’m very touched that these people have come back for more, time and time again. Thank you all for stopping by and taking the time to comment.


If you have stopped by before, you will know I love making quilts. I also love writing my posts, sharing my progress and pics. This year I have made an effort to up my photograpy game, trying to keep things interesting by presenting my quilts in a variety of ways. I have a little camera, nothing fancy. I like to try for both indoor & outdoor pics, and to get more of a 'lifestyle' photo I guess, working with what I have here, using things around my house as props, like decks, wooden table, threads, scissors, plants, thrifty finds, etc.

Today I thought I would look back over some of my older posts and pick out some of my favourite makes, a few of which have been gifted over the years. The quilt on the washing line - in the pic above - is one I made for my first granddaughter Olive. I didn't have a pattern so I combined ideas from a couple of quilts, did each part slowly & with fingers crossed, it all went together in the end. Here's a few more personal favourites . . .

Gypsy Wife, pattern by Jen Kingwell
Loved making this so much,
and am mid flight making a more modern version but have stalled with it!



HST quilt #1 scattered value layout and HST quilt #2  rhythmic value layout
There's something so appealing about those simple HST's




Vintage Spin, before & after quilting


Green Tea & Sweet Beans, WiP up on the design wall
note to self: I must get back to this soon & get it finished




Emperor's Wheel
Up on the design wall & out in the garden
Now all quilted bound & finished - possibly my all time favourite so far


Vintage Butterfly


Daisy Days quilt
- another from years ago using a sweet selection of pre-modern fabrics


Aunt Bet's Quilt
Using a restriced colour palette & simple shapes


Bright Stars
I faffed around for ages trying to decide on my setting for these stars,
love that yellow outer border


and another star quilt, a very early quilt, Spinning Stars
- on location at Waihi beachhouse


 BOM quilt pattern from Material Obsession
so glad I chose the pretty pastel palette for this busy quilt, so easy to sleep under



Retro Flowers Quilt
an oldie but a goodie!


Scrappy Drunkard's Path


Beige & Red Liberated Log Cabin
an early play with improv


Scrappy Stacked Coins Quilt
- all finished with teal binding & gifted

Thank you for taking a walk down memory lane with me.
Happy Wednesday
{or Tuesday depending on where your home is}



23 comments:

Karen S said...

Happy Blogiversary!!! And thank you for sharing the journey of your quilts. It is fun to travel down memory lane!

Kate said...

Happy Blogivarsary! Love your bright and fun quilts. It's impossible to pick a favorite, they are all fun in their unique way.

Georgia said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary. I always look forward to your posts featuring your lovely quilts. Your fabric choices are inspiring. I feel like I've been to a quilt show this morning after having read this post.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congratulations on another year of blogging - I always love to look through your photos of your wonderful quilts.

Marie said...

Your Emperor's Wheel is still my fave (I think!) but there are so many beauties to choose from. Congrats on your blogiversary and here's hoping for many more years of inspiration to come.

Juliana said...

Happy anniversary for your blog! I so enjoy looking at the quilts you've made over your quilting life. They are beautiful, and maybe it's the color and pattern combinations, but they make me happy just looking at them!

em's scrapbag said...

Happy memories! Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing. Happy blogaversary! Keep up the good work!

Raewyn said...

Happy blogiversary to you Linda! Yes, that's a lot of talking - and inspiration and a lot of beautiful projects too! Lovely to see your photos and your trip down memory lane.

Mystic Quilter said...

Happy blog anniversary Linda!! Smashing to see all these photos of your quilts, all beautiful.
Interesting to read that you are in the midst of a second GW - hope you find time to have a finish I should love to see a photo come up on the blog.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! I'm happy I found your blog! I love your sense of color and way of putting all kinds of fabrics together. Your Scrappy Drunkard's Path is great - I'm putting that one on my list!

dutchcomfort said...

Happy Blogiversary! It’s always nice to visit your blog ad look what you’v been up to! To many more years!

Leeanne said...

Happy happy pastimes and here's to the future ones! You have made some lovely quilts. Why wouldn't people come back to your blog time & time again, there is so much colour and inspiration.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Happy blogiversary, indeed!! What wonderful eye candy you've shared - and each one with a meaningful back story. Love the mix of photo stylings -- well done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fabulous array of quilts you've made in the last 6 years!! Here's to 60 more years of blogging. (Not a typo!!)

audrey said...

I've only been following for a couple years, but so glad that I finally found you! Love the way you work with color so much. Happy, happy blogiversary!!

pandchintz said...

Happy anniversary to you and your blog! Always a lovely read with great work-in-progress and quilts to see and hear about. Wishing you many, many more years of blogging - ‘cos I’ll be reading!!

Julie said...

Happy blogaversary. I am always inspired by your use of colour and how prolific you are at producing quilts. I think my favorite would be your Emperor's Wheel quilt.

Kleine Vingers said...


Congratulations and I love the quilts you have shown in this post. I'll just go enjoy them again.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you Kleine. So glad you are enjoying the pics :) (I'm replying here as I don't seem to be able to find an email addy for you)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you so much! Glad you have enjoyed looking at the pics. (I'm replying here as I don't seem to be able to find an email addy for you)

Linda said...

Loved sharing your journey down Memory Lane, Linda. You have made so many beautiful quilts over the years. Happy Blog Anniversary!

MissPat said...

Happy Blogiversary. I love your use of pattern and color. I found you during the Victoriana blog hop. I've been trying to figure out how to follow your blog, but don't see how to do it. I'm just not very good at remembering to check for new posts so I've dipped in and out when you have linked to other blogs linkies. Is there a way to follow you?
Pat

gayle said...

Happy happy Blogiversary! It's good to see these lovelies again - especially Emperor's Wheel (still my favorite!) - as well as some that I'm seeing for the first time. I love to watch you play with fabric!