Friday 16 November 2018

a mixed bunch

I've got a mixed bunch of flowers things to chat about today,
patchwork blocks & books & bathtubs.



I've been back working on my "feeling plummy" quilt blocks, using Kaffe's 'wagon wheels' pattern. The first thing I did was to fussy cut new centres for two of the earlier blocks. It'll be a simple fix, and will be so worth the extra bit of unpicking and restitching, here's a wee closeup peep . . .


As I cut out more blocks I was mindful of other fussy cutting opportunities too . . .


I've tried to use an interesting selection of fabrics, lots of little snippets of quirky and whimsy and pretty. Must admit though, after my initial creative burst, I found teaming up the fabrics for the next few blocks a little tricky. 
I trialled quite a few combinations, changed quite a few things, and digged into the stash looking for just the right mix.




And it's all still very much a WiP, but here's how my design wall is looking so far . . .

- only three more blocks to go !
Linking up with Myra for 'finished {or not} Friday here 

Next up, my top picks for bookclub. This will be our last getogether this year, we're having xmas nibbles and discussing our three personal favourites for the year. 
My no.1 pick was 'A Spark of Light' a new book by Jodi Picoult - focusing on a Women's Centre, where several people are thrown together for various reasons when a gunman bursts in and opens fire. This story counts backwards through the hours of the standoff, and - as is Jodi's style - tackles a complicated issue in this gripping novel. 


No. 2 was 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman - Eleanor struggles with appropriate social skills, tends to say exactly what she’s thinking, and avoids social interactions. But everything changes when she meets Raymond, a bumbling IT guy from her office. A warm, quirky and very moving read.



And my no. 3 pick was "I See You' by Clare Mackintosh - a thriller, in which a normal, everyday woman becomes trapped in the confines of her normal, everyday world. 
During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her, a grainy photo along with a phone number and listing for a website called findtheone.com. A sort of grown up version of "stranger danger", an edge of your seat read, with a crazy twist. 

What book(s) would you recommend as a good read?


And to finish up, here's a few pics of my summer veges-in-the-bathtub
There's quite an overcrowded selection of silverbeet, lettuces, spring onions, parsley, kale, 
and in the midst somewhere, a row of red peppers






Happy Friday 
{or Thursday depending on where your home is}


8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the bathtub of flowers! thanks for the recommendations on authors and that quilt is just lovely!

Julie said...

Lots of pretty on this post. Books worth reading: anything written by Tracy Chevalier, The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart. Check out my IG hashtage #julieloureads for more inspiration if you need it.

Janie said...

Beautiful work on your plummy blocks!
Thanks for sharing your garden photos, looks like spring and the parsley is looking fabulous.

Karen S said...

The blocks are looking great and it is worth the fussy cutting.
bathtubs are a great idea for planting. We use them in the hot house as raised garden beds and they work so well.
Your flowers are so pretty in amongst the veg.

Kaja said...

These are gorgeous blocks - I love the design and you are finding some beautiful fabric combinations (so it's worth the puzzling over them). Love your bathtub too!

Kate said...

The Wagon Wheel blocks are gorgeous! I may have to check out your #3, I love a good mystery. Enjoy the summer weather, we had snow this week. I'm ready for winter to hibernate already.

gayle said...

Gorgeous wheel blocks! I love your new centers - so much happier looking!
And speaking of happy - that bathtub full of veg and flowers is really making me smile. (Especially since we just got 8" of snow on Thursday. Not ready for winter at all. *sigh*)

Ann said...

I've had a Wagon Wheel in progress for several years. You inspire me to get going on it again. Thanks for the book recommendations, too.