Saturday 3 November 2018

a vintage quilt find




















I spied a few quilts for sale while at the Auckland 'festival of quilts' yesterday. This kingsize scrappy star quilt stood out, vintage looking & very different from anything else there, and it came home with me.
It was made by Jean Nutter and was hand pieced and hand quilted. I didn't get a good overall look at it until I spread it out at home, so many lovely little snippets of different fabrics and the points were consistantly good. I'm guessing the binding has been put on more recently. Overall it's in great condition, however I did notice one small area where there has been a 1/2" repair. I can live with that!
I've got a few questions, I'd love to know how old this quilt is & how long it took to hand piece all those little stars, but there is no quilt label nor did I glean much info at the stall. Taking a risk and giving it a gentle wash next.
And, while it's not my quilt, it's still a very lovely scrappy one so I'm linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' over here

For lots more photos of the show quilts, pop on over to see Julie from justjulielou latest post. I'll leave you with a pic of my favourite quilt from the show . . .




So many delightful little blocks and such a fabulous choice of fabrics.
And it won First Prize Large Bed Quilt and Best Hand Appliqué at Auckland Festival of Quilts 




19 comments:

Unknown said...

Linda , Jean Nutter had a suitcase sale at the October guild meeting as she no longer quilts and was de stashing. She used to live in Papatoetoe but is now in Whangarei. Her granddaughter Kathleen Janes was with her and I see she won a prize at FOQ in the Modern section with her Kaleidoscope quilt. I don't know her personally but spend a while looking through her fabrics for sale and gleaned this information.

Julie said...

Wow - that quilt looks fabulous on the bed. Very different from us looking at it while holding it up. Did your husband do a major eye roll when you went out to the car with it? Lovely to catch up with you yesterday.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hi Thank you so much for your comment, it's great to know a bit more about her.

Nancy said...

Your new vintage quilt is just beautiful, Linda. The pink is -- I'm not a pink person -- but it's really perfection for the quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Linda said...

A really beautiful vintage quilt. No wonder it came home with you. The salmon pink background is not one of my favourite colours but the colour is absolutely "right " for this quilt. And it looks great on your bed!

Kathleen Janes said...

Hi there, Kathleen here, Gran will be there tomorrow to collect our quilts. I’m not 100% sure of history either but I’m sure she would love to tell you more.

Radka said...

Wow, what a find, well done :-)
xx

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh my that's great Kathleen. Looking forward to chatting with your Gran. She can email me at linda.dutch@xtra.co.nz

audrey said...

What a sweet find! So much fun to peruse all the scrappy bits.:)

Kathleen Janes said...

She’s not very well versed in emailing but I will surely pass it on, Grandad will help :)

Janie said...

That vintage quilt is a classic, scrappy and happy!
And I am a pink person! From light to medium to hot, I love them all.

Mystic Quilter said...

You scored a beautiful quilt there Linda. I'm sorry to have had to miss again this year, it would have been lovely to catch up with you all. I knew Jean for many years when I was on the Committee for few years at Guild, must have missed the notice about her sale, bet she had lots!!!

moosecraft said...

Your vintage find is awesome! Such beautiful colors!

Cathy said...

That's such an unusual background color and those stars and the hand quilting...well, I'm in love!

Leeanne said...

What an amazing find! I'm sure a gentle loving hand wash will do it the world of good & freshen it up, just lay flat to dry would be my suggestion........fabulous meeting you. xoxo

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt is lively! I can see why you brought it home.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Karen S said...

That is a delightful quilt. Great choice.

Raewyn said...

It's wonderful to see the quilt sitting there in your house, on your bed! It's even more beautiful spread out and properly enjoyed. I hope you can find out a little more about the quilt, then you can write your own label for it ;-)

Lin said...

Beautiful antique quilt and I agree with you, that Dear Jane is fantastic. xx