Tuesday 27 November 2018

a quilty hug


Love that feeling when I finish a quilt, don't you, like really finish it, with the quilting and the binding all done too. And this year has been a good one in terms of my personal start to finish ratio.
Often I don't have a specific purpose in making a quilt. I get a lot of pleasure from making a quilt, and after it's finished, and it's lived with me for a bit, I'm happy if my quilt finds a new home.


This week, as Christmas approaches us fast, I found myself sorting through my quilts. And today I bundled up a few of my quilts and popped into Mercy Hospice at College Hill here in Auckland and met Julie. She was a nurse and is now the Volunteer Manager there and we had a lovely time chatting over a cup-of-tea. It turned out that she & I knew others who had trained at the same time, way way back, and she also knew our close neighbour too, pat-next-door.

I know the team at Hospice provide so much support to so many of us. I received comfort and guidance when my mum was ill, and my daughter is now a nurse there. It's so nice to think that some of my quilts can provide a spark of bright colour or comfort during a difficult time . . .


. . . or simply a big quilty hug




13 comments:

Karen S said...

What a lovely idea. That gives you a warm feeling deep inside.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had just recently thought of making more scrappy quilts of lap size for this purpose to donate to the hospice in our area - what size do you make

Marie said...

Such a great idea! I'm certain that you made several people very, very happy.

Janie said...

Congratulations on all your finishes.
And yes, it's a gift to be able to comfort/help people in need.
The more goodness you give the more comes back to you.

Leeanne said...

Very special, and kind & loving of you Linda xoxox

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

So true Janie, a little way to ‘pay it forward’.
I received comfort from the team at Mercy Hospice, and I see this as a way I can help the next person going through a difficult time.
... and really, I can’t keep all the quilts!

Ann said...

A very special use for these lovely quilts. How kind of you.

O'Quilts said...

Just wonderful One of my groups just made 7 quilts for Hospice. I have a stack that I keep on hand for giving. I like to think that they choose their recipients...This week I have sent off three quilts to families that need comfort. I think that this is all reason for being...do the art thing..enjoy the process..love it up a bit. and give it away xoxo

Linda said...

That's a very generous gift, Linda but your quilts will be loved and appreciated.

Julie said...

What a lovely thing to do. I know my local Hospice has quilts on all the residents beds. I am sure the splash of colour helps cheer people up and make them feel loved.

audrey said...

What a sweet, generous gift. Quilters are the best.:)

Suz J said...

Very worthwhile cause. I have made quilts which I've given away to friends and family after they were made... but need to make something as a donation quilt from the beginning, so I don't invest too much ME in it, if you know what I mean.

Cathy said...

My mom loved the purple quilts they put on her bed when she was in hospice. She was an alcoholic and didn't really like much but she sure remarked on those quilts every day. I know your lovely quilts will provide comfort to everyone who comes in contact with them. Good for you!