Friday 29 March 2019

still stuck on stars


I'm just a little bit stuck on making stars at present.


I'm using this free pattern here by Melanie from southerncharmquilts. It's one with lots of variety in the sawtooth stars, just by using a different star center (the 6.5″ middle part) you can completely change how the sawtooth star looks.
They are teamed up with lots & lots of scrappy low volume filler blocks. I'm loving this look more & more, a little bit of negative space which doesn’t crowd the star blocks and it seems to give a more modern feel.



I definitely want to make this a scrappy quilt, soft & pretty with little 'pops' of colour. So I had a little play today and came up with my colour palette and a few 'rules'. I've decided to make all my star points in a variety of scrappy fabrics in any one colour, with my centres in a contrasting colour. And I'm planning on using lots of different neutrals, some fabrics with slight colour, some cream, some whiteonwhite, etc.
Here's a few progress photos . . .


#1 Millie


#2 Josephine
super scrappy in peach


#3 Sadie


- my favourite so far




Hope all these come together as I've planned!
Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here at myquiltinfatuation
and with Wendy for this weeks 'peacock party' over here at wendysquiltsandmore


12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your stars and your fabrics are just gorgeous -- love the mixing and not-matching that you're doing. JUST LOVELY!!

Karen S said...

Love all the different stars. Gorgeous.

Kleine Vingers said...

They are so colorful and brighten up any day, lovely stars

Kate said...

Beautiful fabric combinations. You've got a beautiful and soft floral vibe going on with these blocks.

audrey said...

Always so fun to come see what you are currently playing with and how you put together your gorgeous fabrics.:) Stars are kind of irresistible really. So many different ways to play!

Linda said...

A very pretty galaxy of stars. Love them all. Like your 'rules'!

Julie said...

Love all your stars. I love star quilts and I was actually looking at that pattern the other day too. I always lose a lot of points off my stars when sewing them together, so I think that's what puts me off making them.

Ann said...

Lovely colors and fabrics as always. Have fun.

moosecraft said...

Wow! That #2 Josephine is super! Always love the fabrics and colors in your quilts....these stars are simply lovely!

gayle said...

Oh, I love these stars so much! There's going to be a lot of gorgeously subtle (and subtly gorgeous) movement in this quilt, with all those neutrals! Can't wait to see it!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

These are lovely stars. You have a good range of fabrics to chose from. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Linda H said...

Who doesn't love a scrappy stars quilt? Great job! Love the use of lots of neutrals for background- the more variety the better IMHO. :)