Sunday 3 March 2019

my weekend . . . in pictures





Plans need to be changed sometimes. And here's the new direction for some of those AMH conservatory prints I bought late last year, see back here. They are going to look much prettier made up into dresden flowers and stitched down onto this pink solid.
On Saturday, I was busy doing a little cut & prep for my 'flowers on pink'  - all set now for some slow stitching.




There's not much purple in my stash. So I decided it was time to fix that with some new additions of Jen Kingwells' 'looking forward' fabrics - quirky vibrant prints and colours - and these arrived today, sew perfect for scrappy plans. Do you have a colour you don't buy and/or don't use too? 





 And, after weeks of not knowing what to use for binding on my 'goodnight moon' quilt, I suddenly spotted this stripe in my stash and thought "yes!" so I was able to get busy putting it on.




On Sunday, after an early lovely long beach walk and cafe brunch, I started reading Jessica Strawser's 2nd novel, 'Not That I Could Tell'. Everyone knows something about everyone else in this small quirky town. And then one of their close knit community goes missing. As the police begin their investigations, secrets start to unfold. Enjoying the fast pace of this latest domestic thriller. 







And I also found time later today to head on up to my sewing room. I've been having a re-think about my 'RED' overlapping octagon blocks {see here for earlier details}, and was keen to have a little play up on the design wall. I decided to add in a few more red & white gingham squares {love em!} along with a few other red & white fabrics too. Oh my, it's blurring the lines a little, and I'm liking this so so much better.

So there you have it,
lots of little bits & snippets from my weekend, with lots of projects going on at once
Linking up with Wendy for the 'peacock party' here
and with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' over here

. . . until next time
Linda


16 comments:

Ann said...

I am using the same red birds on dark fabric for a center of my Stars, too. What fun to see it here.
Love the bright red checks, dots and solids. Yummy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a lot of pretty fabric eye candy you have in your post today! I really like your collection of flowers on pink! I read that author's first book recently - I'll have to look for this one.

gayle said...

You've got so many gorgeous projects going on here that it's hard to pick a favorite! Beautiful!

Cathy said...

Looking at the pictures I'd say you had a wonderful weekend! I think you are right about the new direction for those AMH prints. I'll have to see if that book is available for Kindle. I'm always looking for new thrillers.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! The feeling of binding going on a nearly completed quilt...

Karen S said...

Gorgeous fabrics. Love the fussy cutting that is going on.
Great choice for the binding, too.

Leeanne said...

Looks like a pretty and productive weekend.

Monica at Buttoncounter said...

I love these progress pictures, Linda. I am sewing along with The Root Connection too, but going slowly. I will keep watching your work. :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I can always count on you for a post full of lovely fabrics and beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing them with Oh Scrap!

Julie said...

Those Jen Kingwell fabrics are lovely, I may need to get some. I haven't tried that author before - another one to add to my never decreasing list of books.

Rebecca Grace said...

I am enjoying all of your projects, Linda! I love the red centers on your overlapping octagon blocks with all those other scrappy prints, and I absolutely adore the fussy cut centers on those Dresden plates.

Raewyn said...

Busy and creative as always, Linda :-) Loving your dresdens and great choice of binding! I totally approve of the new reds in your octagon blocks. Another author for me to check out - thanks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh very nice fabrics from Jen Kingwell! I think the extra red spot was a good decision, although we're using red as the neutral it can be a little overpowering if there's a lot of it, that's why I'm going to sash my quilt. On the question of colour likes/dislikes, the only one I don't use much of is brown, Some of my KF could be put down as brown but because he usually has many other colours in there I can work happily with the fabric.

Janie said...

'Blurring the lines a little', good design choice!
Yes, your projects and fabrics are exciting, thanks for sharing.

Kaja said...

I have very little purple, though I don't know why, since I rather like it. I really, really like that stripe you have found for your binding. Dresdens look like the perfect way to use your AMH prints - and such a lovely, soft colour palette too.

LA Paylor said...

great post... I like book rec.'s and finding the stripe was lucky.
LeeAnna