Tuesday 30 April 2019

meadowland quilt {update}



Here's a few progress photos . . .

- I spy four more blocks ready to go


- love a bit of navy blue

As you can see, I've used quite a quirky selection of fabrics, lots of soft greys, Liberty, Tilda, C&S, and favourite ginghams, along with my hoarded - very few - vintage fabrics and a couple of doilies.


I chose to work block by block for my *scrappy version, so I had to spend a bit of time the other day trying to get a nice balance of colour and contrast happening. I wanted a soft vintage-y looking quilt, nothing too bold. And so a little unpicking was needed, because when I thought I was nearly done, I realised that one block was way way too dark, so that had to be altered.

After some reshuffling up on the design wall, I left it all up there for a day or so before I stitched it together.





- it's a lovely Autumn day here
and the bright sun seems to have washed out the colours a bit





I did enjoy following the quiltalong, seeing how others interpreted Meghan's pattern was interesting. Here's a few links for you to check out too - Petra on ig  Abby on ig (love the florals with gingham!) Laura on ig and Anne on ig

* I think if you use the 'meadowland' quilt pattern as it's written for fat quarters, after cutting each of your 12 (16) (20) FQ into the required pieces, you then mix and match the combinations. I'm guessing that if you only use those selected FQ - instead of going all-out scrappy like I did -  it leads to some sort of nice balance happening quite naturally - whether you go bright or soft & pretty, or use all-solids or a curated fabric bundle.

I'm tempted to give this another go sometime, using a FQ bundle too
I loved making these blocks
Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' over here at quiltingismorefunthanhousework

until next time
Linda



14 comments:

audrey said...

So, so pretty. Love the mixture of gingham and florals and how you completely nailed the soft vintagey look. Perfect! Thanks for the links to the other versions too. Always so fun to see the different ways other people can interpret a pattern!:)

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilt is looking so pretty. I love all of the fabrics you're using too. Happy sewing :)

Kleine Vingers said...

I love the look you have created, that softness is beautifull.

Julie said...

This is just beautiful Linda - one of my favourite makes of yours.
Perfectly scrappy, with a beautiful feminine vintage vibe. I hope you're keeping this one.

Ann said...

There is always something attractive about blocks on point. You've done a good job shading the blocks. I like the transparencies you've created. So soft.

Suz J said...

I think this is one of those few patterns that looks good almost regardless of fabric, contrast or placement. As long as the same colours are not too close. Love your vintage version, but I am still piecing my one and I started heaps before you 😔

Leeanne said...

I like the addition of the vintage linens.

Karen S said...

I think your combinations have worked really well. It looks lovely in the sunshine.

Nifty Quilts said...

It's beautiful! I love the soft colors and the variety of wonderful features in the middles of the blocks.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your scrappy choices. Great job!

Kate said...

Very pretty! You did a great job of balancing the colors, love your scrappy version.

Kaja said...

I really like your colours in this one, especially the way the stronger bits of red and greeny-yellows dance amongst the blues and softer shades. As always I also love the way you use those floral fabrics.

Janie said...

I like your photos. The outside porch photo is my favorite, the lighting.
Great piecing and contrast Linda.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely soft colours Linda and a neat idea to add the touches of embroidered flowers here and there for the centres.