Wednesday 17 April 2019

overlapping octagons













- planning & reshuffling things on the 'design floor'






- just captured the late afternoon sun






This week I've spent a bit of time working on my 'overlapping octagons' quilt {you may remember this WiP from back here}. I used mainly Amy Butler prints for the strip piecing and the corner squares, and I teamed them up with about six different neutrals.

But things have changed since I first began piecing this. And I ended up unpicking quite a bit to get the 'look' I wanted. The all-solid reds looked way too overpowering to me, so I added in different reds, including a red & white gingham - love the way the vintagey checks add so much extra appeal. And I also liked the way the reds and the blues played together, so I made sure there was quite a good scrappy selection of blue prints scattered throughout the quilt.
Some octagons are more obvious than others, loving this perfectly imperfect look. My finished quilt top measures approx 125cms x 175cms.

And on the +side, it fits the brief for both the uanduqal and the recent adhoc: improvquilts challenge too. Also linking up with Em for 'moving it forward' here at emsscrapbag and with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' over here at myquiltinfatuation


11 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilt is looking great and I especially love those magical afternoon rays of sunshine that you've managed to capture.

Preeti said...

Red scrappy goodness!!! Great pictures too.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

The gingham is a cute addition. I love your photos too, very cool.

Ann said...

Oh, yes. You've made a beauty. The reds and blues play together so well. The stripes and ginghams keep the solid red in check. You mixed repeats and randomness very well so the octagons come and go and the red is well balanced.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Perfectly wonderful -- and gorgeous photos, too.

Janie said...

Your mix of colors and prints is beautiful, everything compliments and plays well together.
It's a classic and does 'fit the brief' perfectly for the challenges.

O'Quilts said...

Just lovely

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I do like the variety of reds you used, instead of all solid red, Linda! That red gingham is especially fun and I like the pops of blue, too. Beautiful!

gayle said...

It's really been fun watching you work through this quilt! And well done fitting two challenges into one quilt!

Karen S said...

Looking great. I do like they way you have played with the reds.

Kaja said...

I too think the greater variety of reds was a really good call. The checks and spots stop the solid from feeling too heavy and the mix of reds and blues keep my eyes dancing across the top.