Sunday 20 October 2019

in which lots of ideas collide


I love scrap sewing. This week I've had a few ideas whizzing around in my head, and they all seem to have collided into the one scrappy project.
My main idea was to have a go at combining fabrics à la Margaret, Margaret from semichaotic over on IG that is. Now her fabric stash is amazing, an eclectic variety of cottons and other mystery fibres like vintage remnants and her son's beach shorts, certainly lots of fun happening in her quilts.

I tentatively started out with my first few inner circles of matching colours and low volume backgrounds. Then I popped in a few center circles with a co-ordinating colour, and just for fun I swopped out the values, light in the center and darker backgrounds. I'm loving how these look all mixed up together.




Several years ago, while I was still nursing, I had about a year of getting a little fabric bundle each month from Amitie, 10" squares, all sorts of fabrics. I've used these as my starting point - trying for that eclectic Margaret #mixanddon'tmatch look -  and adding in other fabrics from my stash, like a few designer treats and blending-in staples. I'm hoping, with good use of value, this will make even my dated scrap collection shine!


I can't remember where I found my pattern, but there's a great 'wagon wheel' pattern here at redpepperquilts, with lots of scope for unique interpretation.

I'm trying not to overthink my choices, just having fun getting it all up on the design wall. At the moment, I have a vague sense of my colour palette.
The arcs are real scrappy plus a healthy dose of black & white, and I'm combining blues & red (in lots of different values) with neutral greys for the centres & backgrounds, and it looks like orange could be my highlight.
I plan to have a couple of simple border rows too, using mainly plaids with just a little floral. I've still got seven lots of foundation paper pieced arcs to make up, but I now have more of a sense of my colour palette/direction. Here's how it's all looking so far . . .











I'm going for more of a modern meets vintage look, more interesting rather than 'pretty'.
And still delightfully scrapilious!

Until next time, Linda



10 comments:

Karen S said...

I am liking the way these blocks look. I especially like the centres. So many different fabrics playing beautifully together.

Lila Rostenberg said...

This is inspiring and visual candy!
I live in Arkansas, USA and I have some of the same scraps in my stash!

greeneggs said...

Wowsers what a wonderful bunch of blocks. Your approach is working, these look sensational!

Julie said...

I think some low volume rings could look really good on those darker background blocks. Such a fun project, that probably still doesn't really make much of a dent in your stash.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Margaret's work constantly inspires me as does yours. I am happiest as a scrappy quilter and have to remind myself of that when I start getting too serious about coordinating elements.

Janie said...

Exciting colors and piecing. I like the vibes.
You've always got something good cooking here.

audrey said...

I have been looking at this style of wheel block for awhile now. Trust you to start making a scrappy one! So wonderful to see it in your special style.:)

Susan said...

I love how you have the borders all planned out Linda! I think that will really help with the construction and colour choice of the inserted circles! Absolutely delightful....again!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Really liking this one. Definitely scrapalicious!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely adore where you are going with this!!!