Tuesday 1 October 2019

this little WiP of mine

Thanks for the comments & feedback, both here on the blog and over on my IG feed, about this little WiP of mine. You all gave me heaps to think about. Here's where I ended up, my 'summersweet' quilt, now a finished top. 




Jo's pattern 'wintersweet' quilt captured me and I wanted to do it justice as well as, you know, make something I was happy with too. 

I remembered {in the middle of the night!} a quilt made by Kaffe years ago, where he had lots of 9 patch squares alternating with big rosy floral squares, a border of toile squares, and then a final border of smaller squares of fabrics from the centre. 

And so I rummaged thru' my fabrics to find some toiles{fabrics with floral motifs on light white backgrounds}, and picked out the most 'modern' looking of my toile prints. I also picked a few prints that I could reverse to give that slightly softer effect. 
Loving how the 5" squares border shines out amongst all that delicious bright AMH colour! 

Here's a few progress photos . . . 









imagine an all white, airy, high ceiling bedroom in the tropics, 
with a ceiling fan and plantation shutters . . . 










Many thanks to Jo from frankieandray for the +ve  feedback & the visualisation.
To see what others are making using AMH fabrics pop on over here #amhsewalong19
Linking up with Emily for 'moving it forward' over here

Wishing you a scrap-happy week, Linda


12 comments:

Susan said...

How wonderful this looks Linda! I am SO glad you found a solution because now this quilt 'sings'! I love that hashtag too! I need to investigate that one....

dutchcomfort said...

I love your border choice and it sure feels like going to the tropics (though I’ve never been there and likely never will...

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have the pattern (I love her designs) and plan to make mine in Christmasy fabrics mixed with other neutrals. I hope mine turns out as well as yours! And thanks for sharing the IG"myquiltcouldlivehere" hashtag.

Quiltdivajulie said...

p.s. I love the way you style your quilts in your photo shoots. I need to get back to doing more of that.

gayle said...

Beautiful! I love the way you play with florals!
And I agree so much with Julie - your photo styling is always full of joy!

Ann said...

A delightful finish. This border is even better than than blue and white striped one. Congratulations.

audrey said...

You did it! I knew you would make the border come together even better than we could imagine.:) Those lower volume prints play so nicely with the rest of the quilt! Gorgeous finish!

Susie H said...

What a joyful quilt!

Janie said...

Great finish, your 'Summer Sweet' quilt is delightful. It has nice contrast and I think the borders are an excellent choice. I'm really into borders lately!

Yvonne said...

So summery, so soft, so lovely.

Kaja said...

Well now, that is a very clever set of borders. I like how the toiles are just a bit unexpected. They tie in nicely with the blocks, but their light backgrounds give a little lift. Just lovely.

O'Quilts said...

wonderful pictures of that warm and cuddly quilt...I love it