Wednesday 20 November 2019

The. Perfect. Way. to spend a Wednesday



The. Perfect. Way. to spend a Wednesday, sewing with the immensely talented Anna Maria, @annamariahorner. Lots of like minded people gathered together, with lots of planning, creating and sewing happening.



The quilt we were making was her wonderful folkflowerquilt and she had two great versions for us to see. So amazing to see these quilts up close & personal. 





and her patchy version . . .




There was a pile of other quilts too, love Anna's amazing use of colour, applique and 'big' motifs. 



{photos posted with permission}

I chose to start with a low volume background - classic & effective - and then I'll decide later what happens next! The blocks are made using reverse applique, loved learning the new-to-me technique in person with Anna.



 And I planned out my next block . . .


. . .  however, due to having only just had a wee operation, I didn't bring my sewing machine. I did manage to get my first block all underway {many thanks to Megan from jaffaquilts for the use of her sewing machine}. And I cut out another block, played with fabric, and of course got totally inspired.

After sharing her quilts, and her fabrics, and her hints for making this quilt, we all set to with creating our own versions. Anna was busy stitching away as everyone here sewed.

 A close up of Anna's latest work  . . .


And, at the end of the day, everyone put their own flowers up on the wall,
love all the diverse & beautiful results . . . 



. . .  so inspiring
Just need to get on top of my knee issues and start sewing again too.

A big thanks to Cheryl from allthingsbernina for hosting this special day, see her pics here. It was a great day, relaxed and informal, surrounded by Anna's stunning quilts.  To see a little more from Anna's two days in Auckland pop on over to Megan here, Suzanne here, Liz here, and Clare over here. Tomorrow November 21, Anna is off down to Cottage Flair in Rotorua, check out the link here.

Until next time, Linda


8 comments:

Karen S said...

Great workshop. Lovely to see the quilts on display, too.

Julierose said...

Oooh lucky you!! I love her stuff--and to get to have a class with her is amazing...such a beautiful quilt --enjoy making yours...hugs, Julierose

Ann said...

What a treat! I'm so glad you went and shared the photos with us. Her prints are always exciting. You will have so much fun making this quilt and hopefully, we will get to see lots more photos along the way.

Radka said...

I love the design, what an amazing quilt! It will be interesting watching your progress :-)
xx

Kaja said...

Lucky you: this sounds like a wonderful way to pass a Wednesday. I can see that her style will marry well with yours so I'm really looking forward to seeing you work on this.

Mystic Quilter said...

I second Kaja - Lucky You!!! Thanks for posting photos of your exciting day, I was interested to see your flower blocks as I have the pattern but it's a while since I did any reverse applique.
Sorry to hear of your issues with your knee - snap - I'm back to my knee troubles and it's so frustrating isn't it, though I am pleased you were able to make the class.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I’m a big fan of her work so loved seeing these photos. Thanks for sharing! Your blocks will be beautiful like all your stitching. Hope you are pain free soon too.

gayle said...

Yeah, that looks pretty perfect to me, too! What a fabulous opportunity - so glad that you got to go!