Saturday 28 December 2019

down the garden path




As time marches quickly towards the end of the year, I wanted some easy hand sewing to work on, nothing new. It's time to think about finishing some unfinished projects.

I started this EPP 'Hexagon Florets' project over the summer hols, no no, not last year, but way back in January the - year - before - last. {wink wink} It's certainly been a "little here and a little there" sort of project! 
I pulled out all the hexis I'd made, and while sitting out on the deck, with a glass of wine, late afternoon sunshine, and music playing, I made up a few more. And yes, I'm still happy with 'the look' and my original plan (always a risk when you've not looked at something for some time), so I'm continuing on over the holidays, and hopefully will make some more progress.




I'm sort of using an idea from Kaffe's Bold Blooms book. His pattern is a bit more structured than what I'm planning on doing and he has certainly used much deeper tones. But like Kaffe, I'm using a consistant grey floral fabric for the background "garden path" joining each hexi flower, and two different florals, one in yellow & the other white, for my centres.



- possible border idea




There are 46 hexi flowers in total, very do-able I think.
Loving how these bright pastels are looking so far. . . and loving this slow pace just now.


and a couple more . . .




Until next year, Linda

7 comments:

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

It's it great that Christmas is over and we can all relax now. I love the longer summer evenings and all the sport on TV. There's lots of excuses to sit and stitch. Good luck with your hexies. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Julie said...

Always nice to pull out an old wip - there is something quite satisfying about hand sewing small things over summer.

karenbbsnow said...

Very pretty hexies, it will be gorgeous!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hexies are so addictive!

Radka said...

Yes, hexies are so portable, just the thing in front of TV :-) I have just finished my 1/2 inch hexies and made them into 91 flowers for the centre of the new Grandmother's Flower Garden; I am really enjoying this project too :-)
There will be white hexies in between the flowers.
xx

Karen S said...

They are looking great. Keep going with the idea of enjoying a wine when you are stitching, too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Now I do remember your start with the hexagons and again you're using lovely, fresh coloured fabrics. I began a few hexies early in the year using my bright KF fabrics but after looking at your photos I really think I wouldn't mind doing these using my Tilda fabrics, I think they would work wouldn't they?