Sunday 29 December 2019

favourite quilt finish 2010 to 2019

About this time each year I like to post my favourite finish but, since this is the end of a decade, why not change it up? So I'm joining in with Laurie @laurie3.14 over on instagram, for a little bit of fun reflecting back and chosing a favourite quilt between 2010 and 2019.

And I thought I'd share my pick here with you too. This is my #favoritequiltfinish2010to2019 - my "broken china mosaic" quilt. I know many of you will have seen this quilt from earlier posts, but it's a real favourite of mine now . . . smashed plates & shards of broken crockery . . . {wink wink} grandma's dinner set never looked so good . . . 




The Emperors Wheel pattern caught my eye some time ago, it's one of Chris Jurd's paper pieced beauties, using foundation paper piecing for the New York Beauty blocks.

I used an assortment of AMH fabrics, mainly the softer pastel ones, a little Amy B., a couple of oriental fabrics, along with a selection of low volume fabrics and a Martha Negley Seasons Collection Winter Fabric in Cream for the border. I was really trying to achieve a quiet contrast without it looking too out of control! My finished quilt measures 150cms x 130cms.

Here's a few progress photos . . . 




In the pattern, the centre wheel called for a focus fabric, it sets the tone for the quilt and is a good way to feature a larger print. I substituted this with a little bit of improv broderie perse instead.  











I initially machine quilted all over the quilt, a combination of straight line in-the-ditch and 1/4" outline, nothing fancy just enough to secure the layers without distracting from the scrappy feel of the quilt.
 And then I spent a bit of time adding in some big stitch hand quilting embellishments
including adding these french knots to my broderie perse flower centre . . .












It's a favourite quilt of mine for a few reasons - I loved playing with the centre and making it different to the pattern. It's a quilt that I spent quite a bit of time on, first with chosing a nice mix of fabrics, and the paper piecing took a while as I wasn't that experienced with it. And it's a quilt I machine quilted myself, and added in the extra hand quilting details, making it very special.



Anyone can join in by making a new post showing your favourite quilt finish and using #favoritequiltfinish2010to2019

15 comments:

Julierose said...

this is a gorgeous quilt--beautiful work hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Simply stunning finish!! I can SEW see why you chose it for your favorite of the decade. Wishing you more great quilts in 2020 and beyond!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is really an amazing quilt, Linda - both the design and fabrics you used are just lovely! I like the look of combining machine quilting and hand quilting, too. Fun to see this favorite finish of yours!

Susan said...

I don’t remember seeing this beauty before Linda! I can see why it is a favourite! And don’t tell anyone...I think it is way nicer than the pattern!

Marie said...

Taking nothing away from all of your other beautiful quilts, this one is my favourite too. The fabrics that you chose could not have been more perfect. Happy New Year!

Terri said...

Yummy and very springy.
Hugs

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh so good to see the photos of this particular quilt again. I enjoyed watching your progress as you posted on the blog, it is definitely a beautiful quilt and for some reason I'm thinking of ice cream colours when I look at it!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I understand why it is a favorite. Lovely!

audrey said...

I think this is one of my favorites of yours too, though to be perfectly honest, I have many favorites of your quilts.:) It's a lovely, lovely quilt with lots of interesting things going on. Thanks for posting the link too. I enjoyed clicking through others favorite quilts!

Nancy said...

I do remember when you were making this, Linda. It's a beauty! I especially love how you achieved balance across the quilt with the placement of fabrics and colors. And those points on the NY Beauties and around the border. That takes some careful and accurate piecing and stitching. No wonder it's your favorite! Do you hang it on a wall, or use it for a nap, or on a bed, or...?

Suz J said...

I can see why this one is a favourite, it is very pretty and I love the hand quilted touches.

Juliana said...

This is one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen on the blogs I follow.

gayle said...

I think this was the quilt that you were working on when I first found your blog. I've admired it for all this time, and I'm soooooo happy you've finished it! Utterly gorgeous!

dq said...

I truly love your NYB! I just finished my top this month. My colors are so different from yours, but yours is a beauty no less.

BizarreQuilter said...

Oh my! Absolutely stunning! Brave, bold, whimsical, fun, pretty, daring, soft and rigid!! YES YES looove