Friday 3 January 2020

summertime reading

It's 2020 
and it's the summer holidays here in NZ 
. . . lots of time for reading & relaxing.

First up, I've been revisiting some patchwork books I have here on the bookshelf and 'The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking' by Jane Brocket caught my eye today.
  

This book is mainly about quilt inspiration, where to find it & how to use it. The quilts all really do capture the essence of a summer's day. And while simple in design, the way the fabrics are combined make for unique and visually pleasing quilts.

I made the 'ice cream' version of one of Jane's quilts years ago, lots of sandy and watery-blue fabrics with splashes of pink to stop it looking washed out.



I'm currently reading ‘The Dinner List’ by Rebecca Serle, it's a unique read, a romance with a little magic.


"At one point or another, we’ve all been asked to name five people, living or dead, with whom we’d like to have dinner. Why do we choose the people we do? And what if that dinner was to actually happen? These are the questions Rebecca Serle contends within her utterly captivating novel, The Dinner List, a story imbued with delightful magical realism.

When Sabrina arrives at her thirtieth birthday dinner she finds at the table not just her best friend, but also three significant people from her past, and well, Audrey Hepburn. As the appetizers are served, wine poured, and dinner table conversation begins, it becomes clear that there’s a reason these six people have been gathered together.
Delicious but never indulgent, sweet with just the right amount of bitter, The Dinner List is a romance for our times. Bon appétit."


And this last book is for those who enjoy a bit of a gripping & erie read . . . and, I must say, it has been keeping me up at nights,  'Good Girl, Bad Girl' by Michael Robotham. 
“Haunting … Robotham expertly raises the tension as the action hurtles toward the devastating climax"


- don't want to spoil things, but I'm hoping there's a sequel!


 happy reading
and Happy New Year to you all
Linda

5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Jane Brocket's book is a favourite of mine also. I do like your ice cream version, and looking forward to see where inspiration takes you with your next quilt inspired by ideas from the book.
Happy New Year Linda!

Ann said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. It's always nice to end with some eye candy!

Susan said...

Thanks for the book recommendations- I’m patiently waiting for the Robotham from my library. I always enjoy his novels. I think I have the Jane Brocket book, with a different cover, I believe. I love your rendition!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes I’ve seen a different cover for the same book too. Love all the ideas in Jane’s book; she has a great knack for pulling fabrics together.
Happy New Year, Linda

BizarreQuilter said...

It's been a while since I checked your blog, and I am swooning at your fabric choices and combinations! Wooee~ gorgeous