Monday 27 January 2020

photography 101

Last year I spent a bit of time exploring my options for taking a good "quilty pic". I don't do those minimal quilt photos, like you sometimes see, with lots of white wall and the quilt. I guess my photos so far have been more 'lifestyle' ones, working with what I have around here, everyday ordinary things.

And I've had lots of fun faffing about with my camera, some ideas worked . . . others didn't. Here's a wee photo selection of how my skills have progressed, or not! First up, on the bed . . .











and a wee collage of progress pics . . .


and then back to the quilt,
which found its way out onto the stairs  . . .





Sometimes I include the 'quilt swirl' or the 'quilt fold' too . . .


and then I go off outside,
on the gate . . .



 on the lawn . . .





and of course, on the washing line . . .


and somewhere amongst my pics I like to have a close up of the quilting . . .



oh, and then we're up on the front deck . . .





and last, but not least, my quilt found Mr d. my faithful quilt holder,
for a full frontal . . . {wink wink} of the quilt of course . . .



I certainly have my preferred locations around here, but a lot depends on the actual quilt, and the weather too! I know everyone loves those close ups - of fabrics used & of the individual blocks, the quilting, the backing used, and the binding. And that all essential final pic of the whole quilt is a must!

I'm enjoying having a go at combining my quilting with photography. I still have lots to learn . . . and maybe a few 'more modern' shots  will sneak in soon. Love to hear where you take your quilt photos and which blogs you recommend for eye catching photos.

Linking up this finished scrappy 'tripping around the world garden' quilt
with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here 

. . . until next time, Linda

16 comments:

Susan said...

I often challenge myself to come up with creative quilt locations! I find some judicious 'cropping' shots can help. Do you have the portrait feature on your phone's camera? I find that helps soften the background too. And I try to take notice of how others photograph their quilts. Quilty Love is one I really like.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I used to take my finished quilts to work and then duck out on my lunch hour to visit scenic spots nearby. Now that those options are a bit far from home, I am still searching for new favorite spots. The side fence and the back yard are filling in for now (or the studio floor since the weather has been so WET and dreary of late). Your photos always make me smile - glad you are having fun with them.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wish I had a washing line to hang quilts from but I don't and no really good place to put one where it would be out of the way but in the sun all the time. The quilt and photos look great

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Linda, and you found lots of great spots for photographs! You're making me yearn for green, though - we are in the midst of winter where it's cloudy and dark today.

Raewyn said...

Gorgeous photos and gorgeous quilt! I like to play with my photos too but don't have as good a sequence (?) laid out as you do. And as you say, different quilts need different settings, it's fun to explore where's a good spot.

O'Quilts said...

wonderful photos

Karyn said...

I think the classic kiwi shot is the quilt on the clothesline.

BizarreQuilter said...

Hi Linda, I loved the different pictures. Especially the indoor ones because the colours were truer, and were not at all washed out.

my favourites were on the bed, and the folded one, because I got to see the overall pattern, feel the cosiness of it, sense the size and then see the individual squares in their beauty.

Love the pictures, and so will your ancestors when they read this blog x

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your Scrappy Trips quilt (and your photos are lovely, too!!!)

audrey said...

You do make all your quilts look amazingly cozy and pull us all in to take a better look. This is a wonderful, wonderful quilt. Love it!:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thanks so much! Yes, you are right about the colours outside being washed out; it was a very bright sunny day! Actually I have read it’s probably better to click-a-pic on a cloudy day, but I was too impatient!
Still, getting the lighting right is all part of the whole thing isn’t it? ... hmm-m- another thing for me to work on this year I guess!
Thanks for stopping by, Linda

LA Paylor said...

they all show well, but seeing a bed quilt on a bed is my fave, and a table runner on a table, etc. All of them are well done with good color!

moosecraft said...

Love this quilt and love the manner is which you photographed it!!! :-)

Julie said...

I love your 'lifestyle photos', luckily your house, the lighting and decor lends itself to it.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great photographs Linda, I love the collage you have in here and so many different settings for the photos. I tend to still photograph quilts in progress on my design wall but love using my garden seat under the Japanese Maple when they're finished, or at least the top is finished!

gayle said...

I love that scrappy beauty of a quilt, and all your photos are wonderful. My favorite, though, is the one where the quilt has toes! ;)