Saturday 29 May 2021

more log cabins

I'm back making log cabins this weekend. I’d already made a few blocks some time ago but I need many more. I’m love-love-loving the process and the results. When I want to relax, it feels so good to indulge in some simple sewing, and these wonky log cabins fit the bill nicely.

- up on the design wall







Loving this simple patchwork piecing just now, it's repetitive & easy ... cut, stitch, press, trim … again and again.
I'm using lots of neutral strips and muddy medium fabrics. To avoid a really murky quilt though, I'm including light lights and a selection of dark darks too... so yep, it's a bit of everything really!

One of my favorite things to do when I make a quilt is to mix up different fabric collections. As a result, there's a healthy sprinkling of Denyse Schmidt fabrics in this quilt top, along with smidgeons of gingham, Outback Wife, Kaffe & AMH, and lots of other random pieces from my scrap baskets. I love all of those busy prints all mixed in together creating a wonderful patchwork.
I'm using a vintage blue/green solid for all the center blocks, love this shade. In a wildly scrappy quilt like this, a little touch of continuity helps sort out the chaos. And my plan is to pick out a binding that also teams up nicely with the green accent colour. 

My log cabin layout was totally inspired by Jolene blue elephant stitches. My finished quilt top will be larger than Jolene's, as each of my blocks finish at 11 1/2" square. No real reason for that, it's just the way things worked out! I'm cutting my centre green squares at 2 1/2" and using assorted strip widths between 1" - 3". It seems {wink wink} that all my latest scrap quilt sewing simply generates a whole new set of scraps though! 



- but wait, there's more! 
Check back in a few days to see, Linda

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

If we could only get to the bottom of our scraps. That’s what dreams are made of. Haha

Susan said...

The log cabin is a classic and such a great use of long skinny scraps! I look forward to watching this one grow!

Julierose said...

Your log cabin is beautiful--I just love how all the whites come together--that really sparks everything. Nice work on this hugs, Julierose...

sue s said...

I'm inspired by this too! Probably a better use for the scraps I have.

Karen S said...

You can't go wrong with log cabins. How great to throw in all the different ranges. Love the centres.

Marie said...

Great colour palette - love the turquoise centres in your blocks.

gayle said...

Log cabin blocks are fun to make and a joy to behold! Happy stitching!

Ann said...

Log cabins are a great way to use our scraps. I like the way you've cut your logs different widths and your beautiful mix of fabrics.

pandchintz said...

Gorgeous! Loving the blue/green centres and the mix of light and dark sides makes the pattern of “logs” really stand out.