Tuesday 1 June 2021

WiP's be gone!

First day of Winter... time for a few WiPs to get finished!

Like many, I've been working with scraps this year, raiding my scrap baskets first before shopping. And honestly this just reinforces my love of scrappy quilts. But it also creates a problem... making more quilt tops than I can keep up with.

Sometimes finishing a quilt around here is as easy as me doing simple straight-line quilting all over to ensure all the layers are stabilised. And of course some of my quilts are so busy with lots of prints all mixed in together that any 'special' quilting is lost so I've been happy pottering around with the easy quilting. Every now & then, I try some free motion quilting, but it hasn't gone well 😞
As I get older, too, I am finding getting down on the floor to pin baste is quite a mission! And the larger quilts are tricky to manoeuvre through the sewing machine. 
I do still enjoy hand quilting, and usually have at least one hand quilting project on the go. There's a lovely pleasure in slow stitching, but I like it a lot more when I have the time to do it.

So the quilting has been one of the best things for me to outsource. 
I've recently had three quilts quilted for me by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi. There is nothing better than getting a quilt back from the long arm quilter! I still feel very spoiled when one of my quilts turns up in the courier van all beautifully quilted, all that texture! 
And lately, I have put quite a bit more thought into the patterns I've chosen, here's a wee peep . . .


First up, my 'penny patch' quilt. It's a delightful quilt, with three sizes of “four-patch” blocks at play with each other here. I love how the two main colours of aqua/teal and soft tangerine orange bounce off one another, and that 'pop' of coral red colour made my binding decision very easy.

I had it machine quilted in an edge to edge {e2e} pattern, 'soho'.  The swirls seem to soften the edges of the four patches and create a little movement too.
For the backing I found an old piece of Denyse Schmidt floral in teal, which works well I think. 
Super happy to get this long standing WiP {almost} ticked off. Finished quilt measures 48" x 59".














'Bars & Strings' quilt is next in the finishing queue. Now this is going to be my most favourite finish so far this year, I can tell already! "Why" I hear you ask . . .

I love this combo of fabrics! There's lots of special bits & pieces like... one piece of Phillip Jacobs "delphinium" floral, two very early vintage Laura Ashley cottons I'd been hoarding over the years {a fortuitous find}, three deconstructed work shirts, four pretty Liberty's, and a bunch of pre-sorted soft blue & lavender prints (probably from some early quilty idea that never came to fruition!). Loved combining all these interesting textiles together.

I love the colours! It reminds me of a wild garden, spring flowers in blues & lavenders, running riot everywhere. 

I love the quilting! I had it quilted in another e2e pattern called 'ripples', long vertical flowing lines to echo the blue & white pinstripe columns. 

I love the backing! My girlfriend Glenys gave me a new vintage sheet, a pretty peachy/pink floral that was perfect for the backing. 

And, I love my binding choice! I initially thought this darker tone of lavender would 'frame' everything, but as I began stitching it on today, the idea of the little flowers determined to continue spilling over the edge made me smile and think "don't fence me in". 
Finished quilt measures 59" x 59".













And finally, my '9patch Remix' quilt, it's a modern version of the good old nine patch. I used lots of leftover geometric fabrics - a mash up of Carolyn Friedlander's fabric and Karen Lewis textiles - and teamed them up with a mix of Liberty and other prints. It's a winning geometric : floral combo!

I had it quilted in an e2e pattern, called 'bapist fan' - loving the contrast between the quilted vintage looking fan shapes and the more fresh geometric prints. 
I used a new vintage sheet for the backing on this one too. And the binding? Well this was a tad tricky, but I ended up choosing a dark floral that picks up the mustard tones in the quilt.
Finished quilt measures 54" x 62".
















So if anyone needs me over the next few days,
 I'll be sitting in the last sunny spot on the deck, hand stitching these bindings down. 

Love to hear your thoughts about quilting too.
Until next time, Linda


14 comments:

Astrid said...

Congrats on the (soon) finishes! Gorgeous scrappy quilts and I love the LA quilting! Beautiful! Enjoy sunny days and hand stitching!

ButterZ said...

Your quilts are lovely. Now to sit and enjoy some slow binding stitching

Susan said...

What a delight to see these beautifully quilted quilts Linda. I quilt 99% of my own quilts- by machine 80% of the time, hand quilt once in a while. My machine quilting skills are getting better, a task I set myself to work on a few years ago. That is the only reason I make so many quilts, because I don't think I can justify the cost. And binding is the BEST part of quilting for me! It's the exclamation mark at the end of a sentence!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all the finishes - it is getting harder to quilt for me and believe one day I will need to send my quilts off also to have them done - but I will wait as long as I can. I love how all of yours turned out

patty a. said...

All the quilts turned out beautiful. I especially love the nine patch. I learned how to FMQ years ago so I quilt all my own quilts even the King sized one I made as a Christmas gift last year. I quilt on a Pfaff 1475 which is a regular sewing machine. I am a lucky girl because I have a big table that my Dad made me many years ago that I can pin baste all my quilts. I usually have it set up 6' x 8', but I can open the other leaf so it is 8' x 8'. My #1 priority when looking for my current house was a room big enough for my table! I am looking at moving and that is still my #1 priority! Once in a while I do hand quilt one.

Denice Barker said...

Boy, I could have written this post, at least the first half. I feel like I'm swimming in unfinished tops because I am a hand quilter and thus am losing my mojo for starting new projects - thinking they will only end up in the waiting pile. I sent two out to be machine quilted but I just don't like the way they feel. I am going to bite that stone soon and send out another one and maybe two, just to get them off the pile. Besides all that, it's expensive! I look at my stash and want to hide in a corner knowing I won't live long enough to use it.

Robin said...

Your choice of fabrics for the bindings are delightful. I just got a quilt back from the machine quilter today. It's only the 5th time I have sent one in. She did a marvelous job. It's really a relief to know I didn't have to quilt it. Only about 16 more waiting for quilting -ha!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love all three but the Bars and Strings is perhaps my favorite of them. Your color sense is so wonderful.

pandchintz said...

Great finishes and three gorgeous quilts!! Enjoy your binding and hope the sun keeps shining for you.

Julie said...

some very pretty fabrics in those quilts, I love the Soho quilting pattern.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilts all look fabulous and how wonderful to have them arrive all quilted and ready to bind. I so love the combination of fabrics/prints you've used.

Janie said...

Your long arm quilter is doing 'fabulous' work!
Your quilts finished beautifully. If I lived close I'd get on her list for sure.

Karen S said...

How wonderful to have three quilts all finished together. They are all lovely and are finished so well with their quilting and binding.
Beautiful work.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love all three of these Linda, but Bars and Strings would be my favourite with the softly flowing quilting.