Friday 18 June 2021

seeing stars




Love a simple block, or two, on repeat! I finished making up all my star blocks this week. To see lots more {bolder & brighter} versions over on ig, click on the link here @momandpop quilt.

I started out with yardage of two muted colours for my 'sawtooth' stars, 'Lotus Leaf' an early Kaffe and a low volume Alison Glass in white. 
One of my other real joys of the quilting process is to create a bundle from my stash. It’s a great way to clean out some lonely fat quarters in your stash … with little voices whispering “pick meeeeee”.  
I sorted enough FQs to make up a pretty bundle of fabrics with a pastel, whispery vibe for my 'ohio' stars. After all the FQ fabrics were cut out, I had lots of fun mixing & matching them to get a super scrappy look.  
I'm usually a block by block maker, impatient to see how each finished block is going to look. However, with this last batch of blocks, I chain pieced the steps for ease & speed. Once all those little hourglass units were all trimmed up, the 'ohio' star progress happened quite quickly!

I love how my quilt ended up looking half scrappy / half solid {= potentially more cohesive overall}. The repetitive blocks are like 'anchors' and the mix&match adds a bit of spice!

Finished quilt top measures 45"x45" a nice toddler throw size. And the quilting will be very do-able on my own machine!



#friendlyfabricmonster {see more 👾 pics here}
















Loving this cohesive and yet scraptastic mix 💖
Linking up with Wendy for this weekend's 'peacock party' here
and with Cyndy here for 'oh scrap'.

Until next time, Linda

17 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

A beautiful quilt Linda. I think the combination to the two different stars works so well, especially with the fabrics you've used. I can see a little one cuddling up under this quilt.

pandchintz said...

It’s lovely in those soft muted colours.

Linda said...

Really pretty. I love the gentle colours of the fabrics you chose.

Astrid said...

Beautiful quilt! I like the combination of two different stars.

Robin said...

What a fun lighthearted project. You sound like you had fun making this. It is very satisfying and calm and sweet.

gayle said...

I'm always a sucker for stars! Lovely!

cspoonquilt said...

I love the soft palette of the star blocks! So pleasing and peaceful.

Ann said...

What a soft, cool quilt. Clever to put an economy block in the center. And a reminder to use our fat quarters, too.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Lovely! I love how I can still see the stars but overall it is a very calm and restful palette.

Karen S said...

It looks lovely. Soft and subtle is the way I see it!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's so pretty, Linda - soft and sweet, but with a few bold pops here and there! I like the way you described it as "whispery."

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Really pretty Linda. I really like that soft palette. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet quilt top!! looking forward to seeing the completed quilt.

Janie said...

I like the two star blocks, the Sawtooth Stars almost do a fade out.
And your Ohio Stars come in and out with 'whispers' then bolder statements. A peaceful quilt but a lot of action too.

sue s said...

I would love to see how this is quilted; I have a low volume sawtooth stars that needs finishing too. It has alternate 4-patch blocks but every block is 12" so lots of open space! Yours is lovely.

Kaja said...

Another pretty quilt, and I love your photos. You are very good at capturing the feel of a piece.

R's Rue said...

Really beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com