Tuesday 12 April 2022

broken dishes

Another quilt crossed off my list of projects to finish. This 'broken dishes' quilt was started way back in March 2017, inspired by a post I spotted from Simple Simon and Company. I used a selection of Outback Wife fabrics along with some Karen Lewis fabrics and a few ginghams. 

It was easy enough to make... the larger blocks and the random placing of fabric combinations not only shows off the fabric, but gives the quilt a fresh look. I really love this quilt, no idea why I left it so long to get it finished!

Each of the Broken Dishes blocks ended up  9″x 9″ and I made 21 of them. Then I added 4 more 9″x 9″ “blocks” that were just solid pieces of gorgeous Outback Wife fabric, to add some variety to the quilt. And finally, I added a wide border of the leftover floral barkcloth fabrics. 

For the backing I used "Patches" - it's not a denim but it sure looks like my well loved well worn jeans! And I had it quilted by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi. I chose a simple edge-to-edge meander. I then used the leftovers from the backing as my binding too. Finished size: 53" x 53". 

Enjoy the photos.




- close up of fabric selections

















Until next time, Linda



9 comments:

Susan said...

I love this one Linda! Of course the Outback Wife fabrics are also so beautiful together. Your addition of gingham and denim work so well with it! Lovely finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I remember this one Linda - congratulations on your finish!

dutchcomfort said...

A great finish and I love the denim backing!

Julierose said...

Love all those floral pairings--so pretty--nice work hugs, Julierose

Raewyn said...

A beautiful finish Linda! And the backing suits so well!

Robin said...

The denim was a surprise but I really like it.

Kaja said...

I remember loving those fabrics when they came out, so it's good to see them again, and in such a cool quilt too. I like the unexpected denim; it works really well.

audrey said...

I love what you did with the Outback Wife fabrics. So very lovely! And the backing in Patches is so cool. Love the rich denim look, works so nicely with the gorgeous fabrics on the front!

Karen S said...

That is a lovely finish. The quilting looks great and it is wonderful to see it spread out on the bed for a full view.
Great choice of backing fabric as well.