Monday 4 April 2022

emptying the ufo cupboard




I have a few projects on the go at the moment that I’m jumping back & forth between just to keep them all moving forward, and it’s time to get this project out of the cupboard and give it a little attention.
I am making a fun 'scrappy triangles' quilt. I love using old patterns or blocks mixed with new fabrics, it's like breathing new life into an old favourite!

I started making my HST blocks back in March 2021, it's a quilt from the Heritage Series collection - vintage quilt patterns by Penelope Handmade {see here on ig for other versions}. 
Beginning with a curated bundle of pretty wildflowers, I then added other prints & solids from my stash. I've kept to a limited palette in this scrappy quilt, where the focus is a little play with the gentle variations in value.










Isn’t this AGF vase print cute? The vases are a nice, small-medium scale with fun directionality. Normally, I don't really pay too much attention to how my fabrics are placed within my quilt, and so I decided to simply embrace the randomness, letting these vases fall as they may. How do you feel about using directional fabrics? 













And we're done!
I do like this quilt, a very simple pattern that lets the fabric do the heavy lifting.
And it's progressed into the "to be quilted" pile now!

Linda

13 comments:

Susan said...

Life is too short, and there are way too many quilts to make, to worry about the direction of a print in a quilt! If it was a garment I was sewing, of course I would pay attention to it. Your HST quilt is looking gorgeous Linda! The limited colour palette is just PERFECT!

dutchcomfort said...

I love the soothing colours of this quilt-to-be Linda! Using directional prints can really be a challenge! It's so satisfying to work on old UFO’s!

Julierose said...

This is so pretty--I love the limited palette colors you chose a lot--Did you begin with 10" sqs? This is a lovely sized piece...
Hugs for a great upcoming week for you;))) Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like those HST it looks like you didn't even cut off any points - I always have trouble with that.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love the soft colors in your HST. It's lovely. Sometimes direction can be important but often in a more scrappy quilt I don't think it matters. I just let things fall as they may.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your HST quilt! As for directional prints, it depends. On a quilt like yours, I agree with disregarding the print direction. But I once removed and replaced a fussy-cut center patch in a block because I forgot I’d be setting the block on point when I made it, and it was going to drive me crazy until the day I died if I left the little bird leaning sideways like he needed a V8! ;-)

Astrid said...

Your HST is gorgeous, love the soft colors. Directional prints, in a scrappy quilt it doesn't really matter to me, but I know if I had not paid attention in another quilt, like wall hanging, it had driven me nuts and I had fixed it. :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the calm colours here Linda, beautiful HST quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Sometimes I mix up directions of one way prints and other times have them all facing the same way. Only in a wallhanging that is only viewed in one direction would they need to be all the same way. Your choices of fabric are so pretty together in this one.

audrey said...

There's just something so incredibly satisfying about this quilt! Love the repeats in these sweet colors.:)

Kaja said...

Such a nice palette - pretty but not too sweet. Mostly I try not to be pushed about by directional prints, but I always have to push myself just a bit as for some reason my first instinct is to keep them all facing one way.

Karen S said...

The HSTs look wonderful in this quilt. Gorgeous fabrics. I like your approach with combining the old and new.

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you're working toward finishing UFOs! Bouncing from project to project is my modus operandi as I worked on seven different projects this past week! I think it's just fine to use a directional print any which-way. Just ask yourself: "Will the quilt be used and viewed only in the 'up' position?" The answer is "no!" So, make prints go every direction so they can be appreciated from every side. Keep making your happy HST blocks!