Wednesday 20 April 2022

weaving a melody

Dreaming up a quilt colour palette can be a bit intimidating. I've spent the past couple of days second guessing things with my pas de deux BOM. It's scrappy sampler quilt, with lots of choices, and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

Rachel's colourful rainbow quilt was made with the idea that each patchwork group was a separate and distinct entity.  But my version was feeling too disjointed to me, I had imagined that my ensembles would all naturally harmonize and that the edges between them would blend a little into each other.
I began wondering … what if colour was used to unify elements, rather than create distinction. And so today I decided to narrow down my palette, and redo my 'postage stamps' section, I know, I know!  

Rachel {from stitched in color} calls it "weaving a melody" throughout the whole quilt. This takes a bit 
of planning and the willingness to adjust/remake blocks as needed. Quite a challenge!
But I'm super happy that I took the time to change my large block, it's still scrap friendly but things are all flowing nicely between the blocks now and it looks much more balanced.















Next on the agenda is finishing my 'evening stars'. 
Linda


5 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

It's a change for the better Linda! This quilt is quite a challenge, colourwise!

Susan said...

I love the touches of pale pink you are using Linda. And I think your colour choices are spot on!

audrey said...

This is looking amazing. I can totally see how it might feel overwhelming at times! I'm not super good with a wide range in my color palettes. Too many choices I suppose.:)

FlourishingPalms said...

It looks like you're coming along quite nicely. I can see how choosing colors and their placement could make the process a little slow. Sort of experiment as you go. I really like Rachel's version, and it's enjoyable to see how different makers are putting them together. I hope you keep enjoying the process.

Karen S said...

I thin you are well on track with your colour choices. Sometimes it does take a while to think it through and other times it hits you in the face.