Tuesday 7 June 2022

checkers: a simple scrap dance

I've made more progress with my Pas de Deux, a ballet inspired sampler quilt. It’s a rather different sort of sampler quilt, and - after a few panic moments -  I'm now enjoying the challenge. Loving seeing how the colours & values play together, it's {wink wink} very different to when I started out that's for sure! 
Rachel's monthly installments {at stitchedincolor} are full of inspiration and ideas for getting that over-all harmony happening, and I'm learning A. Lot!

This time with my Pas de Deux ensembles, it’s all about starting to make a few connections between the groups. I had made up a "checkers" block a while back, but it seemed way too dark. So I had another look into my scrap baskets, and another ensemble was under construction earlier this week. 
It's a simple scrap dance, lots of 2.5" squares, and guided by Rachel's latest 2.0 version, I went for a fun gentle faded look. My "Checkers" block is an assortment of blues combined with a blend from white to cream to pink to plum. Enough chatting, enjoy the latest pics.


"Checkers" block ✅
I started with pale colours at the top
because of the pale colours in the background of my earlier Sawtooth Burst block directly above it.




Wedge Cross blocks 
Evie spent a bit of time depapering my FPP blocks for me
 - she said "It's so satisfying granny"

I'm using snippets of this early AMH fabric to help connect things too …


And here's where I am at now, all my blocks so far, all laid out on the "design bed" …







Evening Star block  
- the light pink along the edges will 🤞 flow nicely into the surrounding quilt colours.









 
Oh my it's exciting, we're nearly halfway there now! 
I have the rest of the month to think of my next ensembles and which colours I need to repeat. 
Am also wondering, since it's a ballet-inspired sampler, about a suitable name for my version 
🩰

Sharing my progress here @ To Do Tuesday
and with Wendy for this weekends 'peacock party' over here
Until next time, Linda


8 comments:

Susan said...

I have decided that you are a very considered and conscious quilter Linda, and it shows in the care and time you take to choose fabric! This is going to be another stunning quilt!

Julierose said...

I love how these blocks are coming together--mazing color work on these...
hugs, Julierose

Denice Barker said...

WOW!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Linda I just love what you've done with this quilt, the blocks and colours all play so well together and congratulations to Evie for patiently working on paper removal.

Cathy said...

What a gorgeous array of blocks and fabrics! And you always have the best work in progress pics.

Linda said...

Hi Linda! I love the gradation on your Checkers block, and your fabrics are so pretty. Evie looks adorable sitting there in an almost yoga pose. :) Makes me want to do some FPP because I know my 6 yo granddaughter would love to pull those papers.
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Allison said...

That is going to be a spectacular quilt. WOW.

Sharon Kwilter said...

That's a neat design. I look forward to watching your progress.