Thursday 2 June 2022

pas de deux: playing catch-up

Well, here’s more of my pas de deux work-in-progress. I'm a little behind, been busy with family, etc. The May little blocks are divided over 2 areas and I am using the same colours + fabrics for those 2 places but turning them around. I do love how these wedge cross blocks came together today.

I seemed to have missed the bit in the instructions about when to take out the papers though 😂
… guess that's a job for tomorrow.



A sampler quilt can be quite tricky, just not knowing how things will look at the end. Rachel's monthly installments are full of inspiration and ideas for getting that over-all harmony happening. 

I’m starting to have fun with my colour journey now, though {wink wink} it's very different to when I started out that's for sure! 
Narrowing down my palette to assorted pinks darkening slightly to plum/rose, and lots of blues++ with little accents of gold/citrus certainly has helped.
The other thing that occurred to me was that no one block really needs to be amazing. They work together to make an impact. I'm also mixing in more solids, they seem to give the prints room to breathe! And of course the repetition of fabric combos helps with harmony and all that, yes?





Really, all the different ensembles are delightful as individual elements, 
so fingers crossed, bringing them all together in December won't be too much of a challenge!

Linking up with Kelly for NNT here
and with Wendy for this weekend's 'peacock party' over here

Linda

12 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

It will be fun in December indeed! I'm curious to see all those Pasdedeux quilts come together. Your blocks are looking awesome!

Julierose said...

All so pretty; loving that Pas De Deux first one you've highlighted today!! Really pretty colors...have fun hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty and unique blocks, Linda! This is going to be a wonderful quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love your color palette! Glad you are feeling more love for the project - I have only made one sampler quilt (my first machine piecing class) and one of these days I am going to design one of my own using my favorite blocks from the quilt's I've made. Someday ...

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Lovely blue/pink combos. It's going to be another gorgeous quilt.

Susan said...

Oh, looks like I'm able to comment on your blog again! Yippee!( I just hope other bloggers follow your lead! I went to the trouble of commenting on Flourishing Palms the other day, and apparently I still came up as anonymous! Grrr....) Your colours are spot on for this sampler. You've always had a great range of blue fabrics and they work so well with the pinks and greens you are using.

gladiquilts said...

I’m generally not a big fan of sampler quilts, but I do like Rachel’s Pas de Deux. I think it’s because the parts blend and flow into each other. IMHO you have done a wonderful job of choosing great colors and fabrics for your version and I look forward to seeing it continue to develop and to how it all comes together at the end!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So very pretty, all these blocks. I like how you are enjoying the process with these. Pretty fabrics too! Happy Stitching!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the pinks with dusty blues and all those X's!!! It's going to come together very unique and beautifully!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm loving this colour combo Linda, each block has a life of its' own but also look beautiful together. Congratulations on your progress with this quilt. I confess this is one project I should have loved to work on but not possible right now, maybe in the future.

FlourishingPalms said...

I was so tempted to join-in on the Pas de Deux quilt along. And now that I've seen your pretty version, as well as several others with different and interesting color combinations, I think it still looks intriguing. You're right that solids give your eyes a place to rest, and that the project isn't so much about each block, but as a whole. Keep up the good work. And believe me, we all understand about other busy-ness and family keeping us from making! Just enjoy the process as you can.

Karen S said...

These are particularly lovely blocks. I can see lots of great combinations with these ones. Great fabric choices, too.