Tuesday 20 December 2022

kaleidoscope fun


Kaleidoscope quilts are so interesting because many effects can be achieved from one simple block. I used a kaleido ruler to cut the triangles, there's a variety of sizes (I'm making 12″ blocks) and it has made cutting out suprisingly very easy! 

I started with a 10" square pack of AMH fabrics. I followed Jolene from blueelephantstitches approach, alternating the light/dark + dark/medium blocks. Some of my fabric combos are a little quirky, but I'm ok with that! 

Careful placement of neutral triangles (the low volumes in my case) create the larger circles when you stand back a bit.  And I want the circular pattern to be obvious, but not too stark, so like Jolene suggested, in some places I am merging the values slightly. 
Of course I could simply make all my background triangles assorted lights, which reinforces that circle effect, but I was super keen to add in a "pop" of rose solid, as it works so well with lots of AMH fabrics. And look, the  “circle illusion” does fade in and out, but they are still happening, yes! 

Here's a few progress pics on the 'design floor' ...











Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
πŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸŽ„πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„
Linda




8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice! Merry Christmas

Karen S said...

Lovely combinations. Such fun to see the secondary designs coming through.
Merry Christmas.

Mystic Quilter said...

Happy to see you went with rose pink and white triangles - looking lovely.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your colors are perfect! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that block and the design it makes, but found cutting the triangles to be challenging. Is your kaleido ruler specially made for that? Love your colors!

Astrid said...

It looks great! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Ann said...

Such a joyful version. I made several kaleidoscopes years ago but your pinky-red and whites make this one simply sparkle. Congrats!

Suz J said...

Such a pretty mix of fabrics - not the easiest blocks to put together but yours is looking fab!!