Monday 12 December 2022

vintage inspiration



- looking at the design wall, it all still felt disjointed in both colour & design.









I just felt like sewing something simple today, and scrappy of course! And so I sifted through a few folders of quilt photos I've collected over the years, hoping inspiration would hit.

And I'm sure many of you will remember this vintage classic {pic #1} the Penny Patch quilt, a scrappy quilt with three sizes of “four-patch” blocks at play with each other.
It's definitely one of my all time favourite quilts. I made a small one a while ago {see back hereand I always thought I’d like to make another sometime. 
Enthus'ed, I began sorting through my stash baskets, and ended up with some small scale prints, simple geometrics, and a little Tilda, all to be mixed up with quite a few low volumes. 

After making up a few blocks, I decided to clarify my colour scheme - blues from medium to dark, including a few purples, some soft pinks, and a little "pop" of cranberry. Once I began repeating some of my main colours & fabrics, things started to look more cohesive. 

I do enjoy seeing what can happen with my leftovers, don't you?


8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

You made such a good decision to with clarification of your colour scheme, your new top is a treat!! I love the cranberry pops and the deep blue tiny florals - I love it all actually - it's beautiful!

Denice Barker said...

i like how the diagonal small four patch squares start and stop. I don't care for the ones that have the diagonal go "off the page." This is more fun

Quiltdivajulie said...

I LOVE THIS - especially with the more refined color palette. MUST remember this idea for the future (as I enjoy watching your creation happen).

Kaja said...

I love how you tweaked your fabrics to get a really coherent colour palette. I think it guarantees you will get the lovely floral, vintage feel you are aiming for.

Karen S said...

Lots of potential in his design and all your wonderful fabrics.

QuiltGranma said...

Love this quilt! I'm going to try to copy this idea, using some fabrics I cut much earlier this year of Christmas fabrics that I purchased in the early 2000's. If I can get myself off my but and in front of a sewing machine, that is!

Kleine Vingers said...

I like the scrappyness of this quilt, it looks great

QuiltGranma said...

You have inspired me with this to use my older fabrics to make quilts for the grandkids. I've got some UFOs to finish up first, then cut my old fabrics into strips for making these fun things!