Friday 8 December 2023

blue ... on repeat



We’re celebrating the arrival of summer in the southern hemisphere, and this quilt top screams everything summery to me - it's light and bright with lots of blue! It’s scrappy but with purpose✅ and objective✅ It's really super seeing scraps from so many of my earlier quilts finding a home in this one!  

My daughter requested a large quilt, leaving the decisions on fabric, pattern, etc to me. This week, while I've been making the blocks, I've also been wondering how I was going to make this a bit bigger but still keep things looking in proportion, balanced & cohesive.  
For those of you who are curious, I ended up making the 16 blocks as per the pattern ("me sew happy" quilt from these clever hands), and then I added two rows of extra squares to the top & bottom, 1 row of extra squares to the sides, and finally the two borders. 







- yes, it's definitely big enough to go down over the sides & the bottom of a king-sized bed!








Finished quilt top measures 94" x 87" (approx.) - and my daughter is very happy.
Hoping to get some extra quilty texture added from Leeanne early in the New Year, 
just in time for my daughter & her husband's Wedding Anniversary.

Until next time, Linda

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt does look very summery I bet your daughter will love it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beauty, Linda! It's definitely summery and fresh. I love the pop of the black and white dots here and there! I bet your daughter will love this!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a beautiful quilt...it has a light bright feel to it. It will be much loved I'm sure.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

There are so many pretty fabrics in this top. Definitely looks like summer with blue skies.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh gosh. Look at you with a finished top already! I'm late to the party, for sure. It turned out great. Given the size, I an understand why you'd send it off for longarm quilting. I have domestic machine quilted a quilt near to that size, and I can tell you it took a couple weeks to accomplish! Your daughter will love it.