Bramble Blooms QAL update
Audrey at quiltyfolk is hosting a quiltalong, one where we get to create our own original designs following her prompts. The idea is to make a medallion style improv quilt using some of our older and slightly unloved fabrics, along with something we love too. The centrepiece is a floral applique theme.
inspiration pics ...
BB steps 1 & 2 ✅✅
Improv Applique #1
I don't often do too much applique, and improv applique (what? no pattern?) is probably one process I've really struggled with in the past.
The idea for my centerpiece came from a few photos on ig, including the delightful basket blocks here at French general - imitation and flattery and all that!
Using my early art vignette piece as a starting point, I've been happily cutting up the larger piece into smaller sections and reshuffling positions all last week.
I've now stitched down all my shapes to my background. I used a combo of machine “blanket stitch” combined with some raw edged appliqué, and I had also hand stitched lots of extra little embroidery details.
One thing I'm learning is that editing the colours and shapes is essential (and fun) when working with any improv project. My tentative plan for the first border is to use similar colours to those I've used in my centrepiece to keep things cohesive, but I'll wait & see what Audrey's next prompt & advice is before progressing further.
But wait... there's more... with the little hiatus in the BBQAL program, I got sidetracked exploring raw edge applique just a little bit more. And sew a new story begins!
I'm planning another combination of a variety of freehand fabric shapes with some (beginners!) raw edge thread applique to enhance things.