Thursday 14 December 2023

whimsical blooms

Enjoying this so much
 ... I needed some 'Just Because' creative time with no deadlines, no rules 
 ... no pattern even!

I'm finishing up the prompts for my 2nd BBQAL project, creating the scrappy background panel and then composing my floral blooms. I used a mix of peach, orange & pink fabrics for my flowers, and both my stems & leaves were cut from older Kaffe-in-the-stash fabrics!

Once my pieces were fused down, I began to work on my raw edge applique flowers. And many thanks to Tania @mrsmagillaquilts for all the advice. I used black thread, a straight stitch set to 2.0 and stitched 2 times around each shape. Random stitching for that whimsical design look! 

It's a super simple way to applique edges, and there's a couple of bonuses to this method too, like no need to change threads throughout the stitching plus it's a great choice if you are going to be photographing your projects. I'm guessing any fraying simply adds to the overall whimsy vibe.







Looking forward to the next prompt.
Linda



6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes I think fraying is supposed to add to the effect - it is looking good

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is similar to the way I would be doing applique if I attempted it again.

Julierose said...

Love these adorable flowers; the black outline stitching is just super with those vibrant fabrics..Nice work!! Hugs, Julierose

Marie said...

I can see how much you are enjoying this just form the final product. Gorgeous!

Hubblebird said...

I love it. I so wish I had made mine bigger. You’ve inspired me!

Karen S said...

I am loving these flowers. I can see lots of them in a quilt. Lovely work.