Monday 5 February 2024

a thoroughly modern medallion*


Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.
I've managed to get the next stages of my BBQAL medallion quilt top all together.
I went a little ‘rogue’ with my bramble blooms medallion ...
here's a few progress pics ...







- I even (accidently😂) have the brambles!











Here's my little story... I turned my improv mashup into a garden ... three windblown big blooms with a token few formal borders, and then it all drifts into a somewhat overgrown & messy back garden with brambles, wildflowers, a broken fence & a few birds🤣

As I added each new border, I aimed for fabric and/or colour to flow into the next, and I had my fingers crossed that there would be enough fabrics. I have had to substitute as I progressed, but it's all good, it's a real symphony of fabrics now. Mixing fabric styles is such a rewarding way to play and work my way through my leftovers & stash. 
Present size is 50" x 45" - I think that's probably big enough for a fun experiment, don't you! 

Many thanks to Audrey @ quiltyfolk for all the QAL details, it's lovely to get a little glimpse into her thought processes and creativity.

Linda

*thanks to Pat for this blog post title🙏


21 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your quilt, it looks so lovely! It looks very organized, it's hard to believe this is an improv quilt. Happy stitching!

maggie fellow said...

lovely

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it looks great - the center of your quilt is so spectacular you could have had anything for borders and it would be beautiful

Bonnie said...

You've done an amazing job with your modern medallion. Even if there are a lot of different fabric styles in it they sure look great together.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love medallion quilts and just don't take the time to create one. After seeing this one I think maybe this is the month for a start on one. Your big print works so well as a border. Love your colors.

Robin said...

It' pretty wonderful! The fence and flying geese add so much to the design.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Bramble Blooms is looking wonderful, Linda! I especially love the quarter square triangle border - that dark reddish-purple fabric is beautiful. Love that you found some brambles to include, too!

Janie said...

Super fun progress. lovely. Great brambles among the flowers too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely finish here Linda! The large floral is perfect in the border along with the mix of strips and flying geese, finishes off the medallion beautifully.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's looking really great and I love all of the different floral prints which you've used. Happy Sewing!

Quilting Babcia said...

I do love every bit of this quilt! Your big floral "bramble" print is the perfect finishing touch.

Karen S said...

I really like the blooms in the medallion. They are looking great.
I am enjoying the different borders, too.

Ann said...

This is spectacular. Great job!

FlourishingPalms said...

Ah yes! Colorful, bright, wind-blown... it looks so good! I think it's great that you were able to challenge yourself with your fabric choices and stash. That makes success even more gratifying, I think. The size is quite nice, and would look good as a bed topper. Or do you have something else in mind?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my, your BB is looking so gorgeous. I too adore these borders you are adding so adeptly bringing added beauty to the overall piece. I'm dilly dallying and second guessing every move on my BB but thankfully moving it along. Happy Stitching from me!

audrey said...

What a fantastic looking quilt top! So gratifying to use up some special fabrics. It always feels like such a win! Glad you have enjoyed the QAL.:)

Paulette said...

What a beautiful, bright Bramble Blooms quilt! I love your mix of fabrics and prints and all the pieces that give it life and energy!

Helenchaffin said...

I absolutely luv this! It is beautiful!

Julierose said...

What a lovely version of BB1 you've made--I love your choices of fabrics--nice work hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

Thanks so much for posting your quilt top in the link party! I really love your modern medallion! Such a great use of fabrics and the extra brambles just make me smile.:)

Ann said...

I love your center flowers. So beautiful. The dark red hourglasses and unexpected elegance. And that outer border is clever, well balanced, and lovely. Congratulations.