Sunday 15 September 2024

a weekend of planning

I've been busy this weekend ... planning a new quilt ... yep, another one! 
I’ve also been binge watching the latest series of *Bridgerton and wanted my palette to reflect those soft blues & pastel Bridgerton vibes. Anyone else a Bridgerton fan too?

I decided to jump right in and use a newly release pattern, the 'Marjorie' quilt from Jennifer at penelopehandmade. It's a variation of the traditional 'dutchman's puzzle' block, with classic/vintage vibes that I just love. The pattern has instructions for both a limited palette and a scrappy version. 

With a Bridgerton inspired palette in mind, I had a little play to try and replicate the colours in PreQuilt (digital colouring pages) - it's first time I've done this. Lots of fun selecting options & tweaking colours, and after some time I finally settled on a plan, something that ended up slightly different from my inspiration pic, but something that could work for me and my fabrics here. 

And my fabric pull so far ...



My (final) PreQuilt design and the *Bridgerton inspiration pic from *Reddit


... and my trial block ...



I’m definitely on team scrappy but must admit, I'm super happy with how the pink center pinwheel and background triangles give some cohesion to this 1st block.  
Looks like another HST quilt is underway, not my most favourite units to trim but I do love how they look.

Until next time, Linda



6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love these soft colors, so elegant and feminine! Happy stitching!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I love the idea of developing a palette like this. Those bolder blues are going to create some nice movement amid the lower-volume pinks and creams. Persevere with your HSTs ... They're a time suck but worth it in the end! : )

Georgia said...

These colors are gorgeous! I can't wait to see you bring this quilt to its finish.

Janie said...

Dutchman's Puzzle is a good block with many variations sounds like fun. Soft colors for your spring time. Aren't you heading into spring now?

Ann said...

My family had a Dutchman's Puzzle from a great-aunt. Yours will be so special. I love that we have technology to pull values from photos.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your colour choices Linda, although I normally lean to the KF colours your choice here has me thinking of perhaps a softer palette could be on the cards for me one day.