Saturday 21 September 2024

Spring has sprung












It's a beautiful warm Spring weekend here. In-between things, I have managed to quickly sew my nine 16 1/2" blocks all together. The 'Marjorie' quilt from Jennifer at penelopehandmade is a variation of the traditional 'dutchman's puzzle' block. I love repeating blocks like this one because it gives so much room to play with colour.

I found going through the repetitive motions of chain piecing, pressing, and trimming the HSTs was a very calming process. The colours all seemed to dance softly over & around the blocks. I tried to use a lot more blender type fabrics this time, rather than my usual all-out multi-coloured florals. 
From a practical point of view, changing out the background fabrics between the blocks worked well for me too because I don't often buy large pieces of fabric. 

And, always a bonus, quite a few old fabrics have managed to slip into these blocks, super happy that they haven't ruined the soft blues & purples and the "pas-tel" Bridgerton vibe I was aiming for.


Yes, this is my favourite kind of quilt
- inspired by tradition but reworked to look a bit modern.
Linda

No comments: