Sunday 20 July 2014

burning the midnight oil


Yep, I'm still  here, and still working on the Gypsy Wife quilt!
At first glance, this appears to be a really delightful scrappy quilt, but as I have discovered, there's a bit more to it than just throwing seemingly random bits of fabric together!  And so it is taking a bit of time, but the more I work on it, the more I'm loving it!
Once I started piecing the earlier blocks I realised a couple of things - I didn't have enough fabric for all my chosen vertical strips and I also needed to consider the overall colour & fabric balance. So first up I contacted Amitie, sent over samples of what I was short of, & they are posting over some of my order. And then I began to work on a section of the left side of the quilt, making sure that potpourri mix of colour related well together. I have unpicked a few things & I have changed my mind about a few things, and I do have a few small blocks that I have no idea where they go yet! But once I had come to grips with the measurements (many thanx to Megan for forwarding on Liz's beautifully worked out spreadsheets!) it has all gone together very nicely so far.
I thought you might like an update of where I'm at.


Nurses Cross - my favourite block by far!






I have completed all of the left hand sections -





... now I am back working on the right hand sections again -



... and finally, an "all -together -so -far" pic 
(a bit tricky to take but u can get the general idea!)



I've had a lovely run of spare time due to the school hols, sewing late at night
'cos I didn't have to get up at 5:45am ... but that's all over for now! 
I'm back to my  "Olive Days" and volunteer work.
Further progress on this may be a bit slower, but pop back soon to check!



2 comments:

Julie said...

There are some lovely looking blocks in this quilt. What is the finished size of it?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hi, the finished quilt is 59" x 68" (150cm x 173cm)