Saturday 8 February 2020

and on to the next one ...




I do enjoy a good quiltalong! 
Here's my fabrics for the #meadowlandqal with @thencamejune  






You may remember that I made an earlier version of this quilt {here}. I used a quirky selection of fabrics, lots of soft greys, Liberty, Tilda, C&S, and favourite ginghams, along with my hoarded - very few - vintage fabrics and a couple of doilies.





This time, instead of all scrappy, I'm using a curated selection of fat quarters from my stash. After cutting each of your 12 (16) (20) FQ into the required pieces, you then mix and match the combinations. I'm guessing that if you only use those selected FQ, it hopefully leads to some sort of nice balance happening quite naturally - whether you go bright, or soft & pretty, use all-solids, or a designer bundle.

Using a sweet Liberty fabric as my focus, I've searched through my stash and combined a few tone-on-tones, a couple of solids, and dialled back the use of large colourful florals. And now I spy a set of 'meadowland' blocks all ready to go . . .


{wink wink} this could be the closest I'll ever get to making an all-solid quilt!


Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here at quiltingismorefunthanhousework
There's a current quiltalong happening too over on ig if you are interested, 
pop on over here to #meadowlandqal2020 for lots more photos.



12 comments:

Suz J said...

Yes, I think the success is in choosing the right fabrics to start with. Having some low key fabrics does give a sense of calm.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Personally I think scrappy can be so difficult to achieve, I never seem to have enough of the colours I need for the picture in my head. I like the idea of mix and match, I did a quilt years ago on the same principle, in fact I made a few, they turned out great. I’m loving the soft greys.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes going all-out scrappy can certainly a wee challenge to get balance & cohesion happening! But it’s usually how I work, love rummaging around in my stash looking for that ‘right’ bit!
I’m keen to see if I get bored working with only just these fabrics :)

Kaja said...

This is a very restrained fabric pull, though very soft and pretty. I wonder if you will crack and add something else in along the way.

Karen S said...

Lovely fabric selection.
Have fun!

Ann said...

The blue and white block in your fourth photo looks transparent. Love your choice of fabrics to achieve that effect. have fun.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

I clicked on the link when I saw this on your Instagram feed, but I was strong, and I resisted running to my stash to seeing if I could join in. It's a lovely pattern, but I have enough things already started to last me this year and next. I'll enjoy watching your quilt come together though. Your previous version is very pretty. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

gayle said...

I really love your scrappy version, so I'm interested to see how the curated version will turn out. (My heart belongs to scraps...)

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice fabric selection for your second Meadowland quilt! I was interested to read that your first one incorporated Tilda fabrics - I have a basketful of these and have been pondering on how to use them - I also downloaded the quilt pattern on the first QAL, perhaps I should use them here.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I have a feeling that I am going to love both of your versions equally!!

Julie said...

I'm liking all the soft greys in this. I am sure this will be another beautiful quilt.

LA Paylor said...

I love to see all the pieces cut and lined up to sew!