Sunday 16 August 2020

a scrappy finish #2























And this is my second - just finished - scrappy quilt, my vintage 'square in a square' quilt. I started piecing this quilt back in Feb 2018, and it went together quite quickly,{see back here for early pics and inspiration idea}. 

The inspiration vintage 30's quilt didn't have sashings, but I decided to add four vertical rows into my version. And, of course wouldn't you know it, I didn't have enough of any one fabric to do all the sashing. So I mixed it up and used two different low volume fabrics, a Kaffe grey spot and a Jen Kingwell's 'behind the scenes' grey print. And then I added that wonderful Phillip Jacobs 'tree peony' fabric for my outer border.

You may have seen snippets of this quilt already, most recently when I had it quilted in April by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi in an edge to edge orange peel pattern. 
The binding for this quilt actually started out on another quilt, but I had a change of direction and I unpicked it all and replaced it with something else. I sewed the binding, a Denyse Schmidt pink & black stripe, onto my quilt yesterday, and I think it frames everything perfectly!
The finished size is 62" x 54".
 
The fabrics in the center squares of this quilt were mainly 10" vintage squares that I had collected a few years back. I recently spotted some more 'vintage' inspired squares at Treehouse Textiles in Australia, so I purchased a small bundle . . . you know, for if  when I want to make something vintage-y again!   

Sadly after 102, Covid-19 free days, here in New Zealand we have another Covid cluster. Unfortunately it is centered in Auckland where I live, and so we are now back in Level 3 lockdown until at least 26 August, whereas the rest of New Zealand remains in Level 2.  

Still three more quilts waiting in the 'binding pile' so {fingers crossed} I should have plenty of time to tackle these finishes! And make a few more masks for the family. 
Stay safe, Linda

14 comments:

Linda said...

Lovely vintage-look quilt. Looks so pretty on the bed. Sorry about the Covid return in Auckland, still sounds a mystery as to how it happened which is a worry. Absolutely the right decision by Jacinda to go immediately into Lockdown. Enjoy your binding spree and stay safe.

Julierose said...

This is a lovely old-timey looking quilt--so comfy and beautiful.. Nice job on this--I love the vintage squares...hope this gives you joy in these troubled days...
Hugs from afar julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

more scrappy goodness - it is always so nice to turn out a quick quilt and use of more of the stash

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always enjoy seeing your close-ups and the pretty florals you have mixed in with other scraps! Lovely finish, Linda! So sorry to hear about the Covid outbreak after so many days without. Stay safe!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's such a pretty and interesting quilt and to my eye has that Australian flair. The orange peel quilting is perfect for it too!

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish! Love this quilt. Stay safe and healthy, stay at home, keep quilting! During the lock-down here in Mauritius, I attacked my UFO's and actually finished some.

Kleine Vingers said...

Another lovely quilt. I love how fresh your quilt looks.

pandchintz said...

Great finish Linda. So sorry you’re back in lockdown - keep stitching. Take care.

Susan said...

Commiserations on your lockdown. Hopefully the time will pass quickly. There’s a lovely vintage vibe about this quilt. I love the border fabric too!

Denice Barker said...

I absolutely love this quilt!
Michigan has been misbehaving again and we are lobbing back and forth between 3 and 4, too. I believe it will get worse as schools are starting. We hang in there and must be glad we have a hobby we love.

Ann said...

I'm glad NZ is handling the coronavirus properly. With respect. Two short lockdowns are so much better than the craziness here.
Love your fabrics, especially the binding. That fun stripe adds just the right zing to the quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

You've captured the vintage look of this quilt beautifully Linda! Yes, Level 3 again but a necessary move and now the new date for the election. I have made a start on mask making and tried three different patterns but not het hit on a good one!

Karen S said...

Another wonderful finish. It is great to see you getting through them. Very special fabrics.
I was sorry to hear about the new outbreak. Your country has done so well to keep this virus out. We find it really tricky being in lock down here when most of our country is able to get out and about.I hope it works for you. Good luck!

audrey said...

This is such a sweet quilt. Economy blocks are so useful looking and the stripey alternate blocks are wonderful. Simple but very satisfying looking!