Tuesday 18 August 2020

a scrappy finish #3















And so here's a splash of quilty colour to brighten up your Tuesday. 

I'm still slowly dealing to the UFO's in my cupboard during lockdown and here's another recent finish, my 'stars & stripes' quilt. Grabbing a bundle of Rifle Paper co. florals and some cheeky stripes, I starting making up a pile of bold sawtooth star blocks very much inspired by an early quilt @treehouse textiles. I threw in a few extra fabrics from my stash to create more interest and the quilt top came together quite quickly. {see back here in March 2019 for early details}. I used a selection of blue fabrics to make up a scrappy pieced backing and a teal Alison Glass fabric for my binding. I had it quilted in an all over meander pattern by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi 

It's a small quilt, throw size I guess, finishing at 50" x 60". Lately, I've felt the need for a distraction from everything that's going on, but haven't had the inclination or the mental energy to work on anything too intense, and I've found making a smaller quilt just perfect. 

It's also a great way to try out a pattern or learn a new technique, or use certain fabrics without too much outlay, and often a smaller quilt doesn't require as much time to make. A small quilt is perfect for gifting to a new baby or to use as a wall hanging, adding a splash of colour to brighten the home décor. And it's so nice not to have to wrestle with a huge quilt top if you are using your home machine to quilt it. And, adding the final touch, that binding, is such a quick process with a smaller quilt! 

If, on the other hand, you really want to throw yourself into something amazing and a bit more intricate than a small project, check out these 'dearJen' quilts here and over here on IG. . . a puzzle of beautiful 6" blocks and skilled piecing . . . a real labour of love!

Love to hear your thoughts on what size quilts you like to make. Stay safe, Linda


10 comments:

Susan said...

Another beautiful border print Linda! I've never seen that one before. I love the Rifle Paper Company! i have some of their stationary but I believe I've never owned any fabric. It's a lovely quilt indeed!

Karen S said...

You can see I am still playing catch up. I do enjoy the stars in this quilt. Such fun fabrics. I especially like the backing, too.

Julierose said...

this is such a lovely scrappy piece; I absolutely love that flowered border--it is just perfect! Nice work Hugs julierose

LA Paylor said...

since I have to quilt them myself on my not so long arm small arm, I prefer wall quilts at the moment, but I have about 5 kings that need finishing and am putting it off. Twin size are good to see pattern and kind of do-able for quilting. Great work on yours

Astrid said...

Love those scrappy stars, and the border! Beautiful quilt and well done on the finish!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Another terrific quilt. Great border for it. And I like how some of the stars meld/fade away in the background - it's just a really pretty and dynamic overall effect.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nothing nicer than a scrappy star quilt, and I like the size and your lovely fabric choices. Well I just headed over to see the 'dear Jen' quilts you've mentioned - WOW - aren't they wonderful!! Definitely a labour of love, but stunning.

Leeanne said...

So nice to see bindings on these quilts.

Linda said...

This quilt ticks lots of boxes for me: scraps, stars and colours. Great finish!

audrey said...

Love this quilt! The combination of stripes and floral just makes me smile.:) Your border fabric is absolutely perfection too! Smaller quilts really are wonderful sometimes, especially when our attention is easily distracted. I'm trying hard not to think every single quilt I make has to be amazing to be worthwhile. lol