Saturday 29 August 2020

hexistars revisited, again and again

6 pointed stars... found in a box... long forgotten... some discarded... some new ones made



As a person who often has many projects on the go at once, a once favourite quilting quote of mine has been that "some quilts do benefit from being in the cupboard box for a year or more". But if it's been in the box for so long that I have actually forgotten about it, and that after seeing it again with fresh eyes, it still doesn't come together, well, what's a person to do? 

Full disclosure here - these hexistars have been hanging around for a very long time! I started this project back in November 2016, and I can't even remember my original vision for this quilt. 

The stars I had made were entirely from stash, a 'mix and don't match' look using lots of favourites, old fabrics, some Liberty & everything in-betweenwith the occasional designer treat thrown in. It's a happy combination of scrappy crazy colour, checks and low volumes. 
I do know, I had always wanted to keep the background setting fabric the same, which I felt would help bring the whole quilt together. However, I've changed my ideas for the borders & setting triangles each time I've relooked at this WiP over the years. 
 
I'm guessing now, that maybe, I just wasn't ever that much into it all along! 




But, I've still got 20 completed hexistars here, enough to make a throw sized quilt, and big enough for a donation quilt. Bearing in mind that I'm determined to use what I have on hand in the sewing room, I've been faffing about today with setting triangles and borders... again... and instantly, I knew which way to go, can you guess?


option #1


option #2


option #3


I hate to waste fabric and effort, and so I do try to get some result. I'd love to hear how you work out what’s worth spending your precious sewing time on? And also, what do you do if it's not coming together as you imagined?

Linking up with Wendy for this weekends 'peacock party' here
Until next time, Linda

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes I get to the point with a project that I just know I will never finish it and wonder what to do with it as I don't want to waste what might be years of work but it is still a tiny quilt. Most of the time I end up making a tiny quilt with it for the table top to display.

Marie said...

OMG, any of your options would be perfect. I particularly like options 1 and 3. Waiting for the big reveal!

Linda said...

Like you, I hate wasting fabric ( or anything, for that matter!) so I admire your perseverance with the hexies. You’re going to have a lovely finished quilt, so much to look at.

gayle said...

(Oh, I hope it's option #3!)
I've got a few projects (well, possibly more than a FEW) sitting in a box - I think of them as 'marinating'...

Susan said...

I also love option 3 from those you’ve shown. Definitely go with that if you have enough of that fabric. I guess I’m a finisher. If I don’t like something I’m making, it might spend some time in the naughty corner and then I try to power through it, get it finished as economically as I can ( fabric and time wise) and then give it away. Sometimes I might make friends with it again during the process. If not, it’s new owner will.

Unknown said...

You could make your life easy and applique the stars onto a fabric square, sort of like this at A Quilting Life: https://www.etsy.com/listing/854316555/sweet-quilt-pattern-200-paper-version?ref=shop_home_active_8&crt=1

Karen S said...

It is interesting the way we can be mad about something at one time, then down the track not really care for it at all. Shows how our tastes can change.
I have had a few projects I have lost interest in and have done as you suggested and turned them into a donation quilt. It is worth doing if you have already invested a lot of time in it. I have also been so over something that I have sent it to the op shop. And when it gets really bad I have actually tossed a project in the bin - rare, but has to be done. Maybe I should not admit that in public!
Good luck with your stars. I think they look lovely and hope you do finish them.