Friday 21 August 2020

This week: making masks not quilts





The wearing of face masks has been strongly encouraged recently here in NZ while out & about doing essential shopping/doctors/etc. I think keeping up with handwashing & the social distancing are both a priority too. However, while no guarantee, it's looking increasingly like wearing a mask would be much better than wearing nothing.
 
I really resisted making a mask {sigh, sweet denial!}. I have played with a few different patterns over the past month, with varying success, and today I tried out a 3D fitted mask pattern. 
The pattern and tutorial from Maria the midnight baker was easy to follow. I lined each one with a soft lawn fabric and I'm happy with how these turned out. I made two adults ones and two child sized ones. Just need the family's approval now ! 



And I also splashed out a week or so ago and ordered a Liberty mask from Florence and Mary which arrived today. It's a pretty mask with the addition of a molded nose wire . . .



On a roll, I then had a go using another 3D mask pattern from Japanesesewingbooks.com. I made the 7-12yr old mask first and then the adult size one, where I added a thin pipe cleaner for the nose wire. 




After I'd made one or two masks, I found this an easy sewing project. 
And, somehow it gave me a teeny sense of control in a world gone crazy just now.
EDIT: The new masks got the family tick of approval too, check out these pics . . .


Johnny also got very busy using up the cut off bits of mask fabric!


Reposted from @kimkenn5o



Just reading latest info, 
seems like a three layer design to provide extra filtration is now recommended when making masks
- seems like I'll be back making more! 

Stay safe outside your home, Linda

9 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That's an interesting mask design! I think Liberty is really nice (and special) to use in masks. I like your variety of prints.

Susan said...

You’ve been very productive in the mask making arena! I’ve got this pattern saved and want to try it for my next set. Fingers crossed we will be back in the classroom before the end of the year, and I’ll need more. I don’t go out everyday at the moment! Johnny is a real cutie!

Rebecca Grace said...

That photo of your little Johnny wearing his mask is so precious -- those EYES!

Karen S said...

Great work with all the masks. These look like an interesting design and if they have been successful with your family then I think I will give them a try.
Yes, now we are up to three layers, but I think anything is better than nothing.

Miri said...

Great masks and thanks for the links...I made a few masks for the family while I was at my daughter's (without a sewing machine). I think I'll give it a go again.
Love your scrappy star quilt!

Mystic Quilter said...

I saw your photo of the masks and love the last one, Ive just made a dozen basic pleated masks double layered, more to be made this week and I think I shall download the pattern you used. Wish more folk would follow recommendations rather than totally ignoring them all!

Karyn said...

I have whipped up a Maria the Midnight Baker mask this morning - in case I have to make an emergency trip on public transport! So easy. Thanks for the link.

Ann said...

I read about the 3 layer masks after I finished a bunch of 2 layer ones. Sometime soon I'll be making more, too.

gayle said...

Thanks for the link to that pattern - I'll be trying it for my next round of masks!
Love your photos of family, and love all the scrappy quilts you've made!