Wednesday 28 July 2021

sewing something sweet & something simple

 






Change of mood & pace around here this week. After struggling a little with my asymmetrical quilt I was feeling a bit discouraged. I just felt like working on something simple that I didn’t need to overthink, but would end up looking good! So I've started two - yes two - projects! 

I decided it was time to jump in and check out the pretty florals I received in the post recently. Wink wink… and like Wendy fromwendy'squiltsandmore I'm doing my bit too in supporting the Auzzie economy while they’re in lockdown, so it’s all good! 
This is a pack with a selection of small 1/8th & 1/16th fabric cuts which I am using as my starting point and will mix up with my stash here.  I'm not planning on making the quilt this pack was curated for, but something equally sweet. 



Do you still buy quilting magazines? I haven't for quite a few years now, so I was very surprised when my friend Glenys suggested we go halves in the latest digital issue of Make Modern. And I must say, there were a lot of tempting ideas tucked away in there, like this "One Ways" quilt by Heather Black. So we are both making this, like a sort of no pressure sew-along. 

It's an easy fun triangle sampler quilt that I immediately thought would be perfect for my collection of Denyse Schmidt fabrics. I love her fabric collections, they are such a great mix of floral & geometric prints in bright colours to give a scrappy yet cohesive look. Some of these are early fabrics, and maybe difficult to find these days, and I'm also adding in some of her new stuff.  I'm teaming them all up with a couple of low volume fabrics for a nice fresh simple look. 





A few days of sewing a few things so sweet & simple is just what I needed!

Until next time, Linda

7 comments:

pandchintz said...

Gorgeous bundles and a great project!

Susan said...

Your new fabric bundle looks lovely! I'm thinking its from Treehouse Textiles, Amitie or Material Obsession? Wherever its from, thanks for supporting our economy! I don't buy magazines anymore. I can now borrow most patchwork and other crafting books for knitting, all from my local municipal library!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your new fabrics, especially the combination of the sweet florals with that aqua and pink plaid. I can see why you're inspired by your new goodies!

cspoonquilt said...

OH, I do like all your fabric choices! Light and breezy. It will be fun to watch this top emerge from the fabrics displayed!!

JustGail said...

I subscribe to 2 quilting magazines now. I used to be able to pick them up at WM on my supply run, but their magazine selection of any sort is now pathetic. Your new fabrics are lovely - light, happy, pretty.

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow - 2 new projects and why not! You have a stack of fabrics to play with and a good idea to have two friends having a quiltalong.

Karen S said...

Going back to simple is always a great fall back. I do enjoy square in a square. You can never go wrong with that one. And a sampler always gives a lot of pleasure, too.
Enjoy playing with your fabrics.