Monday 7 March 2022

a quick trip quilt














I'm stuck between things just now, sewjo somewhat lacking, so I decided to try a little quick palette cleanser project. A 'trip around the world' quilt is a very traditional pattern dating back for generations. Often there are planned chains of colour forming darker diagonals to emphasise a diamond shape. 
I think this version has a little bit more of a modern look, more of an "anything goes" look, with no real cohesion running through the blocks, but you can still see the vague diamond shapes.

I have made two larger trippy quilts in recent years, both gifted now. However, I didn't start this project because I was bursting to make another TATW quilt, no no no, but more because I was really keen to see how these pretty colours all played together.
I spent a bit of time collecting my fabrics together and began cutting & sewing … I've upped the proportion of light value fabrics, more than I usually would have put in a quilt like this.  And, I'm repeating combinations that appeal to me.  I plan on making a further eight 1/2 blocks* to go across the top & bottom to keep things symmetrical & to make it just a tad bigger, perfect for a little cot quilt I think. 

I'm super happy with this scrappy delight, the colour combination and the randomness of the design speak to my heart on so many levels.

* updated pic



Inspiration & pattern from Melanie at southerncharmquilts
Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here

Until next time, Linda


4 comments:

Linda said...

Pretty fabric colours and combinations, Linda. What size are you cutting your fabric squares? It will make a lovely crib quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It's fun to have a quick pattern to try colors. Always making something keeps the creative juices flowing.

Karen S said...

The colour combinations are gorgeous. This works so well. Great idea for a small quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

An ideal palette cleanser here Linda, this is the sort of quilt I could probably tackle presently.