Monday 21 March 2022

basting day!

I have two recent quilt tops finished that haven't ended up stored away in the UFO wardrobe yet! Both are small & cute, and I decided I could easily turn these tops into quilts. I baste down on the floor, always have, smoothing & checking my layers as I pin baste. But I must admit {wink wink} it's getting trickier as I get older. 

First up, my little quick palette cleanser project from a week or so ago … 'trippy' quilt Inspiration & pattern at Southern Charm Quilts. I've made 2 larger trip around the world quilts in recent years, both gifted now. However, I didn't start this one because I was bursting to make another, but more because I was super keen to try out this soft colour palette, with a healthy dose of low volumes.
I rummaged around in the wardrobe and found a large piece of a delightful vintage lawn, perfect for the backing fabric!












My second little quilt top was my #maggiepearlquilt, a free pattern @penelopehandmade, pieced back in September 2021. 
Do you ever have a pattern or technique that you just needed to try? The 'maggie pearl' was one of those for me! I wanted to try this pattern without committing to a huge quilt. 
I started out using Liberty lawn fabrics then added in a few fabrics from The Deco Dance Collection, Liberty by Riley Blake Designs, and just a few other rogue fabrics from my stash to balance things out.

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m a  straight line machine quilter. I do admire those that create intricate designs, however personally, I really struggle with free motion quilting. I send my larger quilts out for long arm quilting, however, I do quilt my more manageable quilts and they all get lots of straight lines. And usually, each one gets the run- off- the- side thread treatment, where those beginning & end threads get trapped up in the binding for good measure.  
I do also love adding in some big stitch hand quilting to some of my quilts, after all the machine stitching is done. Hand quilting adds such a unique texture, different to machine... and it shows the hand of the individual maker. 

For this one, I opted for piecing my backing. I had a bunch of fat quarters, large print florals that I’ve been hanging onto, and have had a hard time using in projects. But, I realized that pieced together, they would make a lovely, scrappy blue- toned backing for this quilt. So I trimmed off all the selvedges and stitched them together in one big 9-patch, I do love a scrappy back #partyinthequiltback! 












Off now to make a start on some machine quilting, 
Linda



9 comments:

LCP said...

I am a straight line or wavy organic line quilter , too. It works for me ... I kinda think my quilt come out softer. Mostly I am hand quilter & love the softness & drape. I do lots more curves & fans with hand quilting.

Karen S said...

Very organised!!! Two tops ready to quilt. I am not sure I could baste on the floor anymore.
And straight line quilting looks great!

Julierose said...

I also do just straight line quilting--free motion is difficult for me, too.
Very pretty 16 patches --lovely fabrics, hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like straight line quilting, my problem is I can't seem to sew straight! I have a curvy stitch on my machine which I can elongate. That seems to do the trick for me. Lovely quilts, happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'll chime in and say I am mostly a straight line quilter, too. It works for me! Also I still baste on the floor - my theory is that if I keep getting up and down off the floor, I'll won't lose that ability as I get older! Your colors and fabrics are always so pretty, Linda. Love them!

audrey said...

I wish I was better at the straight line quilt. Love the organic look especially but I never seem to pin quite enough. Your quilts are so sweet. The backing fabric on the first one is very charming.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm another fan of straight line quilting. I quite often to a loose wavy variation, again very simple. What size are the blocks of the Maggie Pearl quilt Linda? That's a super pattern for using strips, I'd love to make on with my KF strips - a thought for later in the year perhaps.

Rebecca Grace said...

What a gorgeous lawn backing print you found in your stash! That makes me want to VISIT your stash, you know -- I'm wondering what other treasures you have tucked away! Your straight line quilting looks great, and I especially love the mix of of machine and big stitch hand quilting. Because why not, right?! So many exciting possibilities!

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm sorry that you have to pin-baste on the floor! I couldn't do that on a regular basis, though I understand how nice it is to baste with the quilt sandwich all on one level. Thankfully, I have two hollow-core doors that I'm able to scooch around to make a large "tabletop." When I have to move things around though, I'm sure to have more than one quilt ready to baste! The backing you picked for the Trip Around the World quilt top is perfect, and that Maggie Pearl pattern is great! What a unique patchwork shape for fabric squares. Love the scrappiness of it! Thanks for sharing. You've got me thinking about my next scrap quilt. Want to take supplies along on a week-long retreat I'll soon be going to.