Sunday 2 October 2022

wildflowers



And the final in this recent little flurry of finishes... "Wildflowers". It's a scrappy HST quilt from the Heritage Series Quilts - vintage quilt patterns by Penelope Handmade. I started making my HST blocks back in March 2021, you can find a previous post about this quilt here.

I began with a curated bundle of pretty wildflowers, I then added other prints & solids from my stash. I've kept to a limited palette in this scrappy quilt, where the focus is a little play with the gentle variations in value.

For my backing I chose 'New Vintage' by Laura Heine and the quilting was done by Leeanne from quiltmekiwi.  I opted for the Baptist Fan E2E quilting pattern, a real favourite of mine. I love to pair flowing quilting designs with geometric quilt patterns, as I feel like it helps soften up all the straight lines a bit. 
The binding was a lucky stash basket find, a cotton & steel stripe.  Finished quilt measures 58" x 58". 






- a little binding collage showing fabric detail, use & scale






I love taking photos of my quilts, {wink wink} almost as much as I love making my quilts! Once I gift a quilt, it's gone ... so having a photo record here is one way to keep a quilting journal of all my makes. This latest obsession hobby has had me working on improving my photography skills this year! 

We often see quilts flat in photos - I guess to show the whole quilt clearly - but I always think there's nothing better than seeing photos of our quilts being loved & well used too, draped, held, scrunched up and capturing those snuggle moments! 
The grandchildren weren't around to help with the scrunching for me today, but I lovingly crumpled up my quilt for a few last pics ...









Do you take lots of quilt pics too?
Linking up with Kelly for NNT here at myquiltinfatuation

Until next time, 
Linda

9 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

It's beautiful, I love HST quilts. It has a vintage vibe!! Another lovely finish Linda!

Linda said...

Love your choice of colour palette. Great quilt finish.

Susan said...

Another wonderful quilt Linda! You have been on a roll! Do you keep all the quilts you make? I know I wouldn’t want to give any away!

Kathy S. said...

It's beautiful. I really like your colors and fabrics. The Baptist Fan quilting is perfect for it. Congrats on your fall finish.

Kleine Vingers said...

Love the colours you used, your quilts are always looking so fresh and bright.

audrey said...

I saw this on Instagram, but wanted another look here on your blog. The colors of this quilt are just exquisite. Very sweet!:)

Karen S said...

This one is stunning with all the piecing of those little triangles. What a wonderful finish. And i do like seeing all the different photos.

Rebecca Grace said...

Another beautiful finish, Linda! I adore vintage quilts made from little HSTs like this one. And you are right about the importance of getting those photos before the quilts are gone. Sometimes I feel like the quilt photo is my REAL goal, and the actual finished quilt is just a "byproduct" of my quilt photography hobby. Hah!

FlourishingPalms said...

Very pretty, Linda! I admire you for taking on the challenge to piece so many HSTs and give them sharp points. I'll take an improv triangle any day, compared to those! However, I do love precise triangles. I just rarely make them myself. I love taking quilt pics too, especially when I push myself to go out into the real world to find creative locations. I don't do scrunched-quilt pics though. That's probably just me, but when I've taken the time to quilt my own quilts, I want to show off long flat angles of quilting. :-) I'm glad for you to have this beautiful finish!