Friday 30 September 2022

stars, and pinwheels, and chains oh my!




reverse sewing done ✅
make more blocks ✅
join 20 blocks together and get this quilt top up off the design floor ✅ and ✅ 

It wasn't such a big task, not really ...


... but it was a little bit of a balancing act though, getting my colours & values right. 

This all started out as an idea using a scrappy mix of 12" sawtooth stars in pastels. I faffed around for a few days wondering about setting plans, borders or not. I checked out pinterest & IG, and got side tracked {as you do} seeing stars everywhere ... 



So, inspired by the idea of a two block quilt 🠝, I did the maths and added in a few 'pinwheel' blocks too, hoping a secondary pattern would emerge. 
I was quite intentional about the value of the sawtooth star fabrics as I also wanted that chain pattern with the medium-dark pinks happening too. So some blocks are definitely high contrast, but not nearly all, resulting in a subtly broken chain.

Anyways, fast forward and here's a few progress photos of where I ended up ...



- There’s so much to be learnt by stepping back, 
photographing your quilt, and checking it out in b&w.











Have a great weekend, Linda


4 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice fabrics Linda and I'm so pleased you had the idea to add the pinwheels, they make this quilt really special.

Linda said...

Love this combination of colours and blocks, Linda. The star that particularly catches my eye is the one with the pink floral centre and the green points. Such an unusual shade of green, I don’t know how to describe it. So I looked up greens in my The Secret Lives of Colour book and the nearest I can find is Absinthe, but that’s not quite right either. How would you describe it?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Linda, your Wildflowers is a real beauty! Love your other WIP"s too. You are so good at choosing fabrics. Happy Stitching from me!

Nancy said...

This is a fun quilt. Combining the stars and pinwheels gives it a fun twist. Those rosy colors are beautiful!