Monday 14 November 2022

floral chain in gold

There are lots of options with these Irish Chain quilts, and this one is a fun twist on the traditional quiltSuper happy with this combination of toasty golds, caramels and butterscotch with the pinks & teal.  

I love working with fabrics from my stash, and, I love spending a couple of hours chain piecing, it's repetitve & relaxing all at the same time.  
I enjoy following a pattern but also like to extend myself ... and so my Floral Chain quilt is in colours I would never normally combine. To change things up a bit, I decided to use many gold tonals and prints instead of just the one gold fabric. I think the scrappiness adds a dimension to the quilt that a two colour quilt might not. Plus, the alternating flower blocks are certainly another great opportunity to add a fun little extra pop of colour! 

Here's a few pics ...



- binding decision made ✅








I finished up with a cuddle sized quilt top. I was aiming for something a bit larger, but I ran out of those gold fabrics! Still, it was a super opportunity for some fabric play, and even better, it turned out to be the perfect stash and scrap buster. Linking up with Cynthia for 'oh scrap' here

Until next time, Linda


7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

A lovely color combination, and I love the pops of blue here and there! That is a yummy quilt, Linda!

Robin said...

So pretty? I agree about chain piecing - just feeding pieces into my machine - it's so satisfying.

Mystic Quilter said...

Chain piecing goes so quickly and good results at the end. The little blue blocks are are a lovely mix with the golds - butterscotch squares, sweets from childhood, it's a lovely top.

Kaja said...

I love those gold fabrics and agree that mixing them up gives the quilt an extra level of interest and subtlety. Chain piecing must be a bit like hand quilting - there's something very relaxing and pleasant about simple, repetitive action.

Linda said...

Great choice of colours for your quilt. Looks lovely on the bed.

Karen S said...

It is a lovely finish and even better when it comes from stash. I do like the little hits of blue throughout.

audrey said...

You always make me think that I need to quit trying to overcomplicate so many of my quilts! This is just beautiful. Loving the mix of golds so much!:) And I love it with the white, pink and blue. My default would be to use cream instead of white and this is wonderfully sparky this way.