Thursday 17 August 2023

cross quilt

I started an improv quilt simply called 'cross' and the inspiration came from the brilliant "Unconventional and Unexpected" book by @roderick752

After a little research, I decided to approach this by using a log cabin style block that gets sliced up, it works better for my smaller scraps. I faffed around working out the maths and made up a trial block. Super pleased with how things were looking, so I ploughed ahead with making a few more blocks. 

I am going scrappy with these blocks, using just what I have on hand – a combination of random bits of stash, including some vintage fabrics. I've narrowed down my colour story though with the fabrics that I pulled out, working with a range of pinks-plum, teal, blues, sage, orange, and yellow-golds.
And right now, I'm really enjoying mixing it up with both prints and solids, there's lots of opportunities to put together fun fabric pairings.
Not all my seams are perfectly matched but considering the nature of the original design I'm happy going a bit rogue.





                                                                                                                                                


 

and on the design wall, in no particular order yet...

 

Anyone else had a go at this quilt? I see {now!} there's a tutorial here at film in the fridge for something similar. 
Until next time, Linda


9 comments:

Ann said...

So lovely. Such beautiful fabrics and excellent color combinations.

Preeti said...

Such a fun quilt - like a celebration of scrappy goodness. I love it!!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I really like the colors you've pulled, I would have never thought to put them together but it's beautiful! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that quilt is looking good

Rebecca Grace said...

This is so interesting, Linda! Is the whole block a rearranged log cabin, or just the corner parts with new strips inserted to make the “plus” part? Everything that just gets “pulled from your stash” ends up a masterpiece!

Karen S said...

What an interesting construction process.
I really like the way the blocks are coming together.

Robin said...

That's very clever of you to make up log cabin blocks and then assemble them into the crosses. It looks like so much fun.

JanineMarie said...

I like how you added the sashing strips to make the crosses after slicing up the log cabins. I bet choosing the colors for the crosses is lots of fun.

Mystic Quilter said...

There is so much inspiration in Roderick's book, there quite a few in there that I'd like to make. Love the colours you've chosen to go with, the blocks are gorgeous. Thanks also for the link to the tutorial, very handy!