Saturday 5 August 2023

a mix & match sort of day

My scrappy loving heart shoved everything else aside this morning and I started pulling out a selection of scraps & random FQ’s! I just love making quilts with no plan, mixing & matching as I go along!

For most of these sawtooth star blocks, there's a feature fabric with co-ordinating geometric stripes & spots. I'm being quite random with the placement of my all fabrics though, lots of colour and value differences to keep my eye engaged. I have made a few quirky combos too just for fun! 

So happy with this super combo of a traditional block with a retro vibe. These nine blocks are just randomly thrown down on my design floor, enjoy the progress photos ...






 auditioning border ideas ...



and a bird's eye view of a bunch of blocks ...


It's been a mix and don't match sort of day here.
One more sewing session, one more set of blocks, 
and then I think I'll be ready to start playing with placement, see what's missing & decide on my final layout.

And from my booklist this month ... 


A remote French island. 
A crumbling villa. 
A reclusive film star. 
And an inheritance Saskia never expected.

I've just finished reading "Dreaming in French" by Vanessa McCausland. An intoxicating story of travel, love, friendship and betrayal, this was a book I read in just a couple of evenings. Beautifully written, the perfect read to drift away in time & place, page after page. 

Enjoy your weekend,
Linda


9 comments:

Karen S said...

Love seeing all those stars. And all the great fabrics.

Rebecca Grace said...

Linda, you got all of those star blocks cut and sewn in ONE day?!! It would have taken me half the day just to pull out fabric and decide on which ones to combine for one or two blocks. I love your scrappy mix and, if your combinations are as random as you suggest, you must have a fabulously well-coordinated stash where everything goes with everything else. It looks great!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hi there Rebecca,
Ha ha, well thank goodness most of my stash is kinda colour sorted! I had a muted colour palette in mind with this, but then all that lovely sunshiny yellow goodness snuck in! So I went with it LOL.
Thanks for stopping by.

Susan said...

The sawtooth star block is a great one for mixing and matching! The large centre square is perfect for blousy prints! You have another beauty in the making Linda!

dutchcomfort said...

I love to see all those fabrics and to recognize some of them! This will be another wonderful quilt!

FlourishingPalms said...

When a "just pick it up and sew" moment comes upon you, what comes together is just lovely! You have a great color/print sense, and seem to crank out quilts right and left. It's so good to see a quiltmaker embracing her craft, as you do. And thanks for the book suggestion! I've added it to my list.

Robin said...

You really have a knack for putting things together. The stars are bright and fun.

Ann said...

As always, your lovely grouping of fabric makes the stars shine. Just what is needed on the hot days here. Hopefully it’s cooler where you are.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice fabric choices in this these scrappy stars Linda.