Thursday 10 August 2023

pinwheel with a twist



a binding appreciation moment 











- a scrappy backing for the win! 





My 'bonbonerie' quilt is completed. I started it in back in November 2020, it was such fun to make and I'm really happy with the result!
I used Christine Vlasic' pattern #bonboneriequilt with some modifications, a scrap quilt combining plains and prints to make a classic pinwheel, set on point to create lots of movement and visual appeal.

I used all different genres and eras of scraps in these scrappy pinwheel blocks. There's a great selection of low volumes in here too, it's my favourite way to replace the background fabric of a quilt and instantly gives the quilt a vintage feel.

I also used a selection of mixed floral fabrics for a scrappy backing too. I decided to send a couple of quilts out to Leeanne for longarm quilting, and this was one of them. I just love how the circular element contrasts with the straight lines of the blocks.
And I found a Kaffe stripe for my binding, it really pulls all the reds & warm colours out nicely.
Finished quilt measures 50" x 62". Linking up with Kelly for NTT here

******
My daughter is very good at giving away my quilts! 

As some of you know, she is a nurse at the Hospice in town and often asks if I have any quilts I can part with. Not just for the patients but for any staff member who may have had a stressful day too. Yesterday evening when we dropped one of our grandchildren home, she came out with a box for me. It was a gift from a doctor who had received a quilt from me/my daughter recently. 



Eight delightful little paper vintage dresses,
all I need to do is hang them on "the washing line" and I'll have a sweet bunting for my sewing room.
Such a thoughtful thankyou gift.



8 comments:

Leeanne said...

You always find the perfect binding for your quilts. Gifted quilts are the best and what a lovely thankyou gift of the paper dresses, too cute!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I will have to remember that fabric for a binding choice. It looks great.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those little dresses are cute - love the quilt

Preeti said...

Beautiful quilt. Love all those vintage prints and I am a big fan of low-volume fabrics. I am sure that you were pleasantly surprised by the return gift. Those paper dresses are so adorable!

Robin said...

Delightful binding!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a sweet quilt, Linda! I love the dots and floral together, and that binding is just perfect. And what a lovely thank you gift,too!

Mystic Quilter said...

I must have missed this lovely pinwheel quilt somewhere down the line - apologies! Pinwheel is a fun pattern and a goodie for using our scraps - now you have me thinking!!

dutchcomfort said...

Who doesn't love a great pinwheel quilt! It must be satisfying to know that your quilts are asked for and comfort so many people! Love those paper dresses! Such a special gift!